PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer question

Hunt4sap
02-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Ok guys, trying to decifer my hydrometer directions.i have a 9.5" model and an 8" x1" ss test cup.
The directions say fill 2" shy of full and slowly lower into syrup.then read the baume scale on the hydrometer where the scale meets the syrup in the hydrometer test cup.someone told me that you take reading at top of ss test cup?
Theres a big difference there!?!
Which one is correct?
Both items are tapmytrees brand...

happy thoughts
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Read where the sap meets the syrup. The other way makes no sense unless you fill the cup to the top of the cup.

Hunt4sap
02-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Ok, thats what i thought, but the way of reading to top of ss test cup made no sense to me either...

maple marc
02-26-2016, 08:07 PM
I think what people may mean is that you want the hydro cup to be full--actually have a convex surface with the hydro floating in the middle. I like to have the cup overflow slightly as I lower the hydro into the cup. So actually you are reading it at the top of the cup. You'll get onto it.

Marc

Russell Lampron
02-27-2016, 05:39 AM
The instructions are right read where the syrup meets the hydrometer. They want you to fill the cup to 2" below the top so that it doesn't overflow. You will get a feel for the correct level as you use it. If you overfill the cup put the hydrometer in over your draw off pail so that the spillage goes into the pail. Be careful not to let the hydrometer bounce off of the bottom of the cup. The paper inside can shift making it inaccurate or in the worst case the hydrometer can break.

Hunt4sap
02-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks, used for first time last night.
My first batch i made just by temp and look.
It was way too light, not even close on brix and baume.
I actually just added the first batch to last nights boil on stove to make it all one batch that was finished right...
I received a 20" by 4' ss pan for free! Onto next project( completion of my wood barrel Evaporator!