PDA

View Full Version : Still cloudy after double filtering

Samuelvw1
02-25-2016, 05:54 AM
I use a cone filter a pre filter and cloth filter and today my syrup was very cloudy what should I do to prevent that from happening in the future

Sam
Shelton,Connecticut
50ish taps

5050racing
02-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Let it cool a little around 195 or so before filtering,niter will form above that.

maple flats
02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Is the "cloth" filter made for syrup and is it new? If yes to both, has it ever been wrung out? Twisting a filter, either wool or synthetic, will break the fibers and render it useless. If the answer to the first 2 questions was no for either, you need a proper syrup filter.
Then when using the syrup filter, wet it to start and squeeze out the excess, do not wring it. Then put some wetted pre-filters on top, min 2 up to 5 or 6 depending on how much syrup you have to filter. As a pre-filter gets plugged, gather it by the edges and lift it up. Then it helps a lot if you have something you can hang it from directly above to let it finish draining into the next pre-filter. Another thing is that you want to keep the syrup and filter hot while filtering. I used to keep mine in a large SS pot when I used cone filters and that helped. When I moved up to flat filters on a filter rack in my canner, once I had an inch of syrup in the canner, I turned on the burner very low to keep it hot. I had to keep an eye on the temp because even low would get it hot enough to make more niter. I filtered at 200 butonly allowed the canner get to 190 before shutting it off. Then if it dropped to about 170 I warmed it to 190 again. Warm syrup filters much faster than if it cools too much.
Another method a few producers use, is to use one of those methods, but mix in some filter aid (DE) in the syrup. This helps you filter clearer and longer on each pre-filter because the filter cake that forms keep adding the niter as the cake keeps building and thus the niter is spread out and does not clog the pre-filter.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Another method a few producers use, is to use one of those methods, but mix in some filter aid (DE) in the syrup. This helps you filter clearer and longer on each pre-filter because the filter cake that forms keep adding the niter as the cake keeps building and thus the niter is spread out and does not clog the pre-filter.

I use this method, and it definitely makes a difference in clarity. I accidentally forgot to add DE last week to one of the batches, and I noticed right away. New filters also help.

maple marc
02-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Maple Flats words of caution about reheating are very important. You can do the best filtering job in the world but if you reheat again on a burner you risk overheating the syrup at the bottom of the pan and creating niter. That's why canning into glass is one of the great challenges in life. That's why water jacket canners are so valuable. The syrup never gets above 185