PDA

View Full Version : Western Wisconsin 2016

BigR
02-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Put 6 scout taps in yesterday. Nothing running yet in mine here near River Falls. Maybe this weekend???? 50 degrees predicted for Saturday and looks good beyond then!! Getting excited!!dr

markcasper
02-25-2016, 08:18 AM
I tapped a test tree last Friday and nothing. Tuesday it was running a drop per second, yesterday a drip every 3 seconds and the bag was near half full. Time to get moving......

BigR
02-25-2016, 01:33 PM
With the upcoming forecast I'm putting out 75 Saturday. Looking good......

BigR
02-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Checked the 6 scout taps I put in yesterday. All 6 ran a bit today. 1-4" per tap/sack. Looks like a go Saturday for sure!!!!

motowbrowne
02-26-2016, 04:05 PM
It still feels early to me, but the test holes are running. Probably tap out Saturday, though we might wait until Thursday. Tuesday and and Wednesday look pretty cold. Where in River Falls are you tapping?

BigR
02-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Tapping in Big River area. South of town near the Gas Lite. Ran very steady today. Put 75 taps out today. All are going strong!!!

Cody
02-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Tapped +/-600 today all on new 3/16 today 275 gallons in 4.5 hours.Crazy!Fun watching it run through tubing.Maybe this is the beginning.Put one vacuum gauge on one line and was showing 26".Could be busy tomorrow, have about 300 to tap.So far happy with 3/16 line.

BigR
02-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Boiled 35 gallons of Sap today. Taps seemed to really slow down today. Not cold enough at night???

motowbrowne
02-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Boiled 35 gallons of Sap today. Taps seemed to really slow down today. Not cold enough at night??? I'd guess it ran all day Friday, most of Friday night, and all day Saturday. Usually it needs some cold weather or a storm before it runs again. I'm hopeful that the inch of snow they're forecasting for this morning is enough encouragement.

Cody
02-29-2016, 05:53 AM
Tapped Friday,some tree's started dripping about noon.Saturday started putting in more drops and tapped another 150 all running.About 750 total taps in so far.Sunday by noon tree's pretty much shutdown from high wind and cold temps.Collected just under 1200 gallons.So far happy with 3/16 tubing.

BigR
02-29-2016, 06:18 AM
Nice, didn't get much yesterday. I just stated a couple years ago as a hobby. 75 sacks out. Next few days looking Cold. I'm hoping it doesn't get as warm as some are predicting next week.

Cody
02-29-2016, 06:54 AM
That will change ten times before next week.Almost like politics.:o

motowbrowne
02-29-2016, 07:51 AM
That will change ten times before next week.Almost like politics.:o

Yep, a week ago the forecast high for Saturday the 27th was 19. Then, over the course of the week that changed to 57!? The end of the ten day does look too warm, but hopefully the weather will remember that it's still really early.

markcasper
02-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Yep, a week ago the forecast high for Saturday the 27th was 19. Then, over the course of the week that changed to 57!? The end of the ten day does look too warm, but hopefully the weather will remember that it's still really early.

Do you have that right! I did not start tapping as early as I should have based off that forecast and ended up not getting a drop of sap. Lost it all! Feels better that I'm not the only one. When I was tapping on Friday I have never seen trees run like that on the first day of tapping. Didn't matter what side of the hill, snow situation, just didn't matter. Had the test bag start to run over on Saturday. Basically was 15-20% of our season.....GONE!

motowbrowne
02-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Do you have that right! I did not start tapping as early as I should have based off that forecast and ended up not getting a drop of sap. Lost it all! Feels better that I'm not the only one. When I was tapping on Friday I have never seen trees run like that on the first day of tapping. Didn't matter what side of the hill, snow situation, just didn't matter. Had the test bag start to run over on Saturday. Basically was 15-20% of our season.....GONE!

Yeah, I figure I missed quite a bit by waiting to start until Saturday morning. Started tapping at 9:30, probably had 320 taps in by 5:00, and brought in about 400 gallons after 24 hours. You're right about never seeing that the first day! Hopefully the first 2 weeks of March is good for us, and this was only 15%.

Out of curiosity, how is it that if you were tapping Friday, you didn't end up with any sap at all?

markcasper
02-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Out of curiosity, how is it that if you were tapping Friday, you didn't end up with any sap at all?

I just got started tapping tubing and let it run on the ground to clear the lines. Had to work all weekend 12 hour shifts in town, nothing ready or cleaned out to catch sap. :(

motowbrowne
03-01-2016, 08:21 AM
I just got started tapping tubing and let it run on the ground to clear the lines. Had to work all weekend 12 hour shifts in town, nothing ready or cleaned out to catch sap. :(

Got it. That 12 hour shift on Saturday must've been absolutely no fun.

On the bright side, they're warming up the middle of the week a little bit in the forecast, with runs looking possible Wednesday through Sunday, and then they're cooling it down after this warm spell. I don't see any temps over 60 today, but they were there yesterday. Hopefully we can make a lot of syrup this weekend and get back to it by the end of next week.

markcasper
03-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Everyone must be busy! Worked on cleaning tanks and hooking up vacuum today. A tiny bit of sap was coming forth, enough to get leak checking going on and then the snow hit, they shut off right now! Lots to do, burning the candle on both ends here but I'll be dang if I am going to miss it this time. A few more to tap in the morning and then back to vacuum work. If it doesn't freeze this next week, at least the vacuum should bring it in for a few days. Those trees are just waiting to pound it out as was the case last weekend. Thankful for this cold snap. Going to wait with the bags through this upcoming warm spell and see what things look like next week.

Cody
03-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Another cloudy cool day.forecast said sunshine and 40 are they ever right?Maybe tomorrow? Patiently waiting.

markcasper
03-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Trees slowly started running today, a quart per tap at best....enough to get the vacuum tight in one woods. Will be doing the other woods tomorrow. Expecting a huge run between tomorrow and Tuesday with low pressure going to move in. Many squirrels in the one woods this year, am going to have to get a hold of the Hmongs to come and take care of them.

motowbrowne
03-07-2016, 03:07 AM
Trees slowly started running today, a quart per tap at best....enough to get the vacuum tight in one woods. Will be doing the other woods tomorrow. Expecting a huge run between tomorrow and Tuesday with low pressure going to move in. Many squirrels in the one woods this year, am going to have to get a hold of the Hmongs to come and take care of them.

I bet things are running like mad now, huh Mark?

Cody
03-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Tree's let loose yesterday.By 5 pm collected over 1 gallon per tap on 3/16 line.Suger content up 2.6.See what today brings.

Boomer
03-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Finally got my 19 taps in on Saturday afternoon (3/5/16). Of course my yard trees were going great and the ones in the woods were doing ok. By the looks of the forecast I won't have any snow to pack around my 40 gallon barrel that I keep the sap in. Could be a quick season for me.

mike z
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Checked buckets 6:30am. Ran good last night, still dripping slow and steady. Will collect this afternoon.

BigR
03-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Ran good here yesterday. 3/6 About 65 gallons out of 75 taps. Most have slowed to a very slow drip or have stopped this afternoon. 3/7 64 degrees. No cool down tonight forecasted. Maybe Thursday??

Cody
03-08-2016, 05:30 AM
Collected just under 1200 gallons yesterday,one tank running over in morning.See what today brings.

gouldjs
03-08-2016, 06:49 AM
10 day forecast does not look good, hopefully this isn't it for the sugar season.

Boomer
03-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Collected yesterday (3/7/16) from my 19 taps and had about 35 gallons sap. When I got home from work two of the buckets in my yard were tipped over and one of the buckets in woods, the hose had fallen out of the bucket, so there was little on ground :cry:. I plan on boiling Friday. I think we could be in for another year of dark syrup.

Cody
03-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Collected 800+ yesterday and 200+ today.Has not froze good since 3/6.Maybe tonight, 3/16 line is helping allot.

Boomer
03-10-2016, 07:19 AM
I collected on Tuesday (3/8) and got about 15 gallons of sap, so my 50 gallon barrel is chuck full. My plan is still to boil this Friday. I'm glad for the cooler weather with no snow pack around my barrel I'm a little worried about the sap spoiling.

Boomer
03-11-2016, 09:05 AM
I collected again yesterday (3/10) got about 12 gallons, half of that came from two tress. It was 27 degrees this morning with a light frost on the ground, it should run today. Firing up the cooker this afternoon and plan on boiling all weekend. Think I'm going to pull taps this weekend, short season but I have over 60 gallons of sap as of today and more to come with this weather.

motowbrowne
03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Looks like we lucked out last night and got a decent freeze. Stayed below freezing for at least 12 hours. It's running good now, hopefully it'll run all day, or even longer.

markcasper
03-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Have been getting lots of sap all week with vacuum, everyday except Wednesday. I've cooked twice since saving everything on Sunday, once Tuesday morning and yesterday. The first batch was all really light and yesterday it started off light, but then dropped quickly to dark. Looks like its going to stay that way unless it gets cold. These 60 degree temps just hammer your quality efforts!

mainstreet
03-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Nice little run after last nights freeze. Forecast seems to be getting cooler before the next freeze, hopefully it keeps the buds closed. Motowbrowne, are you the syrup supplier for Pitchfork? I know they get it from River Falls.

Maddogmusher
03-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Frost on the ground here this morning north of Somerset. Sap flowing good right now. Good to boil tomorrow. Highs in the 50's & 60's. Not suppose to get below freezing till Wed 3/16. This is my first year so my question is: do I leave my 17 taps in till next week and it gets cold again? How do I know when it is time to take them out for the season?

motowbrowne
03-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Nice little run after last nights freeze. Forecast seems to be getting cooler before the next freeze, hopefully it keeps the buds closed. Motowbrowne, are you the syrup supplier for Pitchfork? I know they get it from River Falls.

Nope, not me. I wonder who it would be. I don't know of any decent sized operations in River Falls. Ellsworth, Spring Valley, yeah, but not right around River Falls.

motowbrowne
03-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Have been getting lots of sap all week with vacuum, everyday except Wednesday. I've cooked twice since saving everything on Sunday, once Tuesday morning and yesterday. The first batch was all really light and yesterday it started off light, but then dropped quickly to dark. Looks like its going to stay that way unless it gets cold. These 60 degree temps just hammer your quality efforts!

Hey Mark, any chance you entertain visitors? I'm planning on collecting and cooking tomorrow, but I was thinking that it'd be cool to visit a bigger operation that's still getting sap with vacuum once we dry off in the next few warm days. If you thought I could stay out of the way, I'd try to lend a hand for an hour or two if you're interested.

mainstreet
03-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Nope, not me. I wonder who it would be. I don't know of any decent sized operations in River Falls. Ellsworth, Spring Valley, yeah, but not right around River Falls.

Just curious. Mike does a maple lager with the syrup that is awesome. They have a pic of the guys sugar shack hanging on the wall in the taproom, I just never asked for his name.

Cody
03-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Crazy,tree's let loose yesterday.Collected just under 1700 gallons off of 900 taps on 3/16 line.Back out to check tanks.

WI Sugarpop
03-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Wow, that's great Cody. Hope you have a RO.

lpakiz
03-12-2016, 07:12 AM
Running great for me, too. I emptied the tank yesterday (Friday) at 10 AM and went back at 5:30 and picked up 225 more gallons.
I replaced all lateral lines and saddles last fall, replacing a number of two-tap trees with just one tap, so now I have around 180.

motowbrowne
03-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Crazy,tree's let loose yesterday.Collected just under 1700 gallons off of 900 taps on 3/16 line.Back out to check tanks.

Cody, are you cooking syrup or just selling your sap?

jmayerl
03-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Running great for me, too. I emptied the tank yesterday (Friday) at 10 AM and went back at 5:30 and picked up 225 more gallons.
That's awesome Larry, we didn't freeze over here in over a week now. No sap to speak of off vacuum. Going to drain sweet today and boil water in the back pan to clean everything up and put away.

Cody
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Cody, are you cooking syrup or just selling your sap?We take it to our neighbor,he does a great job of processing it.So yes we sell the sap.

Cody
03-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Wow, that's great Cody. Hope you have a RO.We take are sap to neighbor,he is set up with RO.Think with our woods and there's went through over 7000 gals yesterday:)

Cody
03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
That's awesome Larry, we didn't freeze over here in over a week now. No sap to speak of off vacuum. Going to drain sweet today and boil water in the back pan to clean everything up and put away.I think I would hold off a little,looks like winter is coming back by Wednesday.

jmayerl
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Lot different on your side of the state. Hasn't froze in a week and no freeze in the 10 day. Grass is green here in GB, tulips are out, bees are bringing in pollen. .....were done

Cody
03-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Collected another 1400+ gallons last two days without freeze,3/16 line is doing great:)

Boomer
03-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Another year for me is done. Collected a total of 85 gallons of sap for the season and made just over 2 gallons of syrup. Surprisingly my syrup was not as dark as it was last year, very nice color. I've attached a picture of a gallon of it. 13770

Cody
03-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Collected 600+ gallons Monday and 545 gallons yesterday. Sap still running on 3/16 line.Freeze coming later in week with chance of snow,should get some more good runs.Without the 3/16 line hate to see what our totals would have been.

markcasper
03-15-2016, 08:43 AM
That is great Cody. I have been getting about a gallon of sap per day per tap even on the worst days. Have 2 days worth sitting in the tanks right now to process. Going to be dark, but better than nothing. Sugar percent is getting low though, down to 1.7 on some :(

Thinking of tapping the pasture trees soon to help get that sugar % up, I might just go for it with the forecast pending.

Cody
03-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Collected 997 gallons yesterday,sugar at 1.8 but better than nothing.Frost must have came out with rain cause tree's picked up flow,still running good in tank when we collected last night.

Cody
03-19-2016, 06:59 AM
Sap cleared up real nice after freeze Thursday night.Had to deal with frozen mainline yesterday,slush would dam up were there was splices took a while to get thawed out with no sunshine.See what today brings.Collected 750 gallons by 4pm yesterday,sugar coming back up.

Marc Duclos
03-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Wow 1.8 that's pretty good. In NH a lot of us have been getting 1.25 most all season One guy that has Sugar maples planted in the 60's was getting 2.25 be he has something special. For me I am going to run the vacuum for one more week on 750 taps. any more 1.25 and I am done. Go back to the brick work.

mainstreet
03-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Decent run today but expected a little more. Have some reds with buds that look like they are ready to explode, no spider legs yet though. Crystal clear sap.

logboy
03-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Went and checked the lines today and the reds have popped their buds so it looks like I'll be calling it a year. I made some buddy syrup a previous year and vowed never to do it again. Overall it was a pretty poor year in my neck of the woods.