PDA

View Full Version : Any Tricks on Replacing a Section of Tubing Without Losing Tension?

maplestudent
02-25-2016, 05:20 AM
I have some squirrel chews on 5/16 tubing where it snakes around trees. The tubing runs to several other trees after the chewed part.

Anyone have some tricks up their sleeve for replacing a 3'+ length of tubing, around the curve of a tree, without losing tension on the line?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OldManMaple
02-25-2016, 05:47 AM
Two loops of small rope and a cam lock tie down strap. Tie a prusik knot on each end and use the strap to pull tight

maplestudent
02-25-2016, 05:56 AM
Excellent idea.

I've used prusik knots on rope but never thought of using them in this application.

Thanks for your help!

Cedar Eater
02-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Two loops of small rope and a cam lock tie down strap. Tie a prusik knot on each end and use the strap to pull tight

This seems like a method you could use to add in a tee when doing an initial run of 3/16" tubing. It would be a lot cheaper than a tubing tool. Is this just wishful thinking?

psparr
02-25-2016, 08:37 PM
This seems like a method you could use to add in a tee when doing an initial run of 3/16" tubing. It would be a lot cheaper than a tubing tool. Is this just wishful thinking?

A tubing tool is worth it's weight in gold.
And I just so happen to make them for about half the cost of the ones in the catalog. Just saying. Although mine won't open 3' to replace a section. Ha. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/4c7ea7bc900e257b9b1826177b36405e.jpg

Cedar Eater
02-25-2016, 10:18 PM
A tubing tool is worth it's weight in gold.
And I just so happen to make them for about half the cost of the ones in the catalog. Just saying. Although mine won't open 3' to replace a section. Ha.

Your tool looks interesting, but hard to justify for an experiment with only 7-8 taps. My plan is to route the tubing from top to bottom and then put in the tees. Planning to use yellow hollow core rope for holding anything that needs holding.

OldManMaple
02-26-2016, 04:37 AM
CE,
Flush Tec, the Hot End people make a tool thats real simple too. Can't get the pic to load but here's a link, it's on this page. http://www.flushtec.com/products.html

Super Sapper
02-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Cedar Eater you can pull your 3/16 tight and mark where you are going to put your Tee's with a marker. Loosen the 3/16 up and then install your drops and tighten back up.

prettygoodatmakingsugar
02-26-2016, 11:58 AM
so heres how I did my 3/16 this year. i was to cheap o buy the two handed tool but did buy a 1 handed one which helps ALOT. but i started by stringing the line from top to bottom zig zagging the top to picking up all the maples on each line then as straight as possible from last tap down to tank. i got the line really tight before cutting in taps. i held the line by using two small vice grips and a piece of old 5/16 tubing (probably could use 3/16 just didn't try it) i took the piece of 5/16 and clamped it onto the 3/16 with about 12in in between vice grips then cut the 3/16 and put in the tee and tap. one tip is to cut out 3/4 of a inch when cutting in your tee as it seemed as though the extra really added a lot of extra slack over time.

Cedar Eater
02-26-2016, 08:20 PM
CE,
Flush Tec, the Hot End people make a tool thats real simple too. Can't get the pic to load but here's a link, it's on this page. http://www.flushtec.com/products.html

That's more than a little pricey for my 7-8 tap experiment. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to scale up next year.

OldManMaple
02-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Nope, not the Hot End. This one.

Vtmbz
02-27-2016, 06:07 AM
I set up about a hundred taps on 3/16 by myself, with a one grip tool. It's hard to keep tension. The only thing that half way worked for me was to bring along two ratchet straps. Start at the anchor tree and pull hard to the next two trees down the line, and then ratchetstrap the second tree, while you work on the first one. Then ratchet strap that one and move the strap to the third one, and work on the second one...

What works better than that is to have a helper. What works better than that is to have a two handed tool!

BreezyHill
02-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Reef knot has been recommended on here before. I have not used that knot on tubing before. But this not is quick and easy to do both sides of the tubing and use a lope and tesion together the two knots prior to cutting the tubing.

I need to carry a length of rope and try this since this season several times I have had the tubing pop out of the 2hand tool or my coat sleeve has released the grips handle...sucks like he!! chasing the already stretched lines!

There was a great vid clip on doing the knot online, but cant seem to find it...search on here reef knot.

GeneralStark
02-27-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure how a reef (square knot) would be used in this situation to keep tension on tubing as that knot is used to bend (connect) to lengths of rope together. I have had good luck for years using a length of cord with a clove hitch tied to the tubing on either side of the section you want to replace. Slide the clove hitches on the tubing to take up tension and you can keep the tubing tight while you do your work.

Instead of a wood dowel (as shown in picture) picture the clove hitch tied on tubing. It provides more than adequate friction.

http://www.animatedknots.com/photos/cloveend/cloveendR6.jpg

The prusik knot is very handy as well but is overkill for tubing. I use it quite a bit for doing repairs on mainline.

http://www.netknots.com/files/4013/2990/8378/prusik-knot.jpg

TwinBay
02-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Get a long length of soft rope or cord and tie a clove hitch at both ends onto the tubing.
Holds the tension while you cut and splice the bad tubing.

ffengine2411
03-01-2016, 12:01 AM
I have two pieces of braided rope approximately 2 feet long tied to my belt I use for tubing. You simply tie clove hitch knots on opposite sides of where you want to work. When you get them on pull the tubing through the rope towards you and it should hold. Simply cut and do you work. The knots come out very easy. I could take a picture if needed. I use a one handed tool because of weight. Any time I have a section to fix this is how I do it.