PDA

View Full Version : 7200 ft dryline Anyone have alternatives or concerns

haymaker
02-25-2016, 03:37 AM
I have 2000 taps located 7200 ft from closeset electricity grid, also I already have a meter at that location. All of that distance is in open farm fields along a government road, no shade. Im thinking the cheapest way to get vac to the bush is to put vac pump where the grid ends 7200 ft away, then run a dryline along rd on posts, cost of black pipe for this is around 2800$ plus wire posts and time. There is a building at sugarbush to hold realeaser and holding tanks. There are 3 low spots where the dryline would be which would need some kind of condensation drain. Would the heat in that black dryline be to much for a busch vac pump? Utility company wants 12000$ to bring in single phase. If I bury a line underground I would still need drains in the low spots right? how would an underground drains work? If anyone has ideas don't be keyboard shy.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-25-2016, 05:02 AM
What size black pipe are you planning? Your price suggests you may be planning too small. I transfer vacuum 2000 ft and use 2 inch. Much further and 3 inch would be needed. If I could get grid power 7200 feet for 12 grand, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

haymaker
02-25-2016, 05:16 AM
My pricing was 1.25 inch. The line would be vac only no sap. What size line would be recommended for a straight run with no corners.

haymaker
02-25-2016, 05:27 AM
Utility wants 12000$ plus cost of panel, meter installation and permit. To fairly compare to running dryline utility cost would be 14000$.

nas
02-25-2016, 06:31 AM
You would need to go with at least a 3" line in order to transfer enough cfms for 2000 taps. You could try a generator or a gas powered pump...

Nick

wiam
02-25-2016, 06:51 AM
I have 1 1/4" buried 1600'. 900 taps. I lose too many cfm and wish I had gone at least 1 1/2". I feel you would be better either with a generator or gas/propane power pump.

haymaker
02-25-2016, 09:21 AM
I didn't realize to vac lose was that bad on dryline too. What kind of fuel cost would I expect running 10HP vac pump with 3 phase genset of an appropriate size?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-25-2016, 09:29 AM
I have 2 military surplus diesel generators....10KW.....They use about 20 gallons of fuel in 24 hours. During a season, they will each go through 250 gallons of fuel

nas
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
It seems to me that with a busch pump you could get away with 3hp for 2000 taps. That would mean a lot smaller generator.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-25-2016, 11:07 PM
That is a long way to transfer vac. Plus that would be pricey. I think 2" is around $1 per foot or even a little more. I believe it could be done but I guess I would have to agree with others who have stated that running the power would be best. And here is my reasoning. First it solves this problem you are dealing with and could easily go with the 3 hp busch pump for 2000 taps. Second it is a dollar invested. Who is going to give you equity for a 2" line over a mile long installed? nobody.. Who would give you an increased valuation on your sugaring operation and property if you had a power system installed that could be later tapped into. My guess is that the 14K you invest into power will yield you the same if not more in equity on your property.

Ben

BreezyHill
02-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Back in '86 National Grid wanted $60,000 to bring 3 phase power to our new feed mill location. I bought a gen set. She was a sealed bid and $376.10 and I had a 45kw Koehler She is still running strong and burns from 2-5 gallons per hour depending on the load. The second unit is a 333 Cat 100 KW military surplus that was $1500 or so. She is for the pellet mill.

A good gen set is a great investment you can use all the time. Put it on a trailer and in the bush, if theft is an issue, weld on a pair of jacks on the back like farm equipment style that you can jack it up set on blocks and take off a wheel or two, then take off the two jacks.

An inexpensive enclosure on the trailer is worth every penny also.

I will be running 2800' of W/D for a bush I have but it is only 350 taps and I don't have time to collect sap. Honestly if it were not for my middle son we would have taken a season off as we are expanding with another store and there is not time for maple.

keep the system as simple as you can. Gen on a trailer is nice to install SS connectors in the main with a heat gun.

Good Luck!

Ben

n8hutch
02-26-2016, 08:36 AM
A generator would be a good option for a few years, I wouldn't want to rely on one in perpetuity. We have a generator that runs the scale house and fuel pumps where I work, it's about 20 years old now & has worked out ok but it is certainly another item to maintain & fuel & another thing to go wrong. Grid power is definitely more convenient & as anotherror said adds value to your Property.