PDA

View Full Version : Starting to panic...

DMF
02-24-2016, 08:00 PM
This is our first year and I'm starting to panic. We ordered a 2x4 hobby evaporator and it's being built now. I was hoping to get it Friday night, but it's looking like it may be later in the weekend. I work during the week so I will have to boil on weekends. Not knowing how much sap we'd get, we put out 1 tap on Sunday. Monday we got a couple of gallons. Tuesday, maybe only a couple of inches in a 5 gallon bucket so we put out 9 more taps for a total of ten. Tonight, I collected 18+ gallons! I can see where I'm going to run short on storage fast if this keeps up, but my biggest concern is if the evaporator isn't ready for me to use this weekend. Will what I collect this week go to waste? I am keeping it in the back of my barn which is dug into the hillside so 4' of the back wall is below grade. It's on a cement floor and the walls are insulated so it stays pretty cool in there even in the summer. What's your thoughts?

Mini_Maple_Men
02-24-2016, 08:04 PM
If it stays mid 30s in there ur probably good for a week. Just taste it before you boil it. If it is clear and sweet ur fine, but if it gets cloudy or off flavor dump it. And if you have enough containers don't mix your days! That way if your older stuff turns your not loosing your fresher stuff too!

johnpma
02-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Go to tractor supply and get their 5 gallon buckets with lids put your raw sap in them and stick them in a snow bank also leave any ice in the bucket until you are ready to boil Another trick is to freeze 2 liter soda bottles that are full of water and stick one in a half filled bucket of sap

DMF
02-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately, no snow so that's out. I have about 20 gallons or so in a brand new 32 gallon trash can; should I put frozen bottles in there?

johnpma
02-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Checked my stored sap temp this morning. Despite the overnight high of 58 at my home my sap was 33-37 degrees F Temps are suppose to drop off this afternoon....I think I'll be OK

Gotta love New England 78 degree temp swing since last Monday

DMF check the sap temp...that will tell ya

Had to use waders to get to my storage tanks this morning:o

prettygoodatmakingsugar
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
one option for storage is go to a grocery store and ask for a few of their clear trash bags. most clear bags are virgin polyethylene and are thus food grade, line a new trash can and fill it up, it will also allow you to store more sap using less ice. being a hobbiest i wouldn't hesitate to use sap as long as its clear and not milky with strings or has a off taste. also since you just tapped there should be very little bacteria built up in the tap hole yet which means it will keep longer. but if in question just dump it the trees will make more or just tap more and dump what you cant use. you may want more to sink more than 10 taps with a 2x4 pan just and i always save about 10 gallons so you can flood the pan if you have to.

Cedar Eater
02-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately, no snow so that's out. I have about 20 gallons or so in a brand new 32 gallon trash can; should I put frozen bottles in there?

Trash cans without food safe liners may not be food safe. They might contain recycled plastic. And if you actually meant a galvanized can, that's also not recommended.

das fisch
03-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Dmf, funny meeting you over here. I usually have a source of 55 gallon food grade barrels and buckets. I'll see if this is still valid. How's the season going for ya

saphound
03-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Sounds like you already bought something, but another option I noticed in Walmart the other day is a huge 44 gallon food grade storage tote bin for under 15 bucks. Somewhere on your new trash can there should be a recycle label with a number inside a triangle. What is that number?

Edit: Realized after posting, that the label is usually on the bottom and you have sap in it..but if you can, check it. Or you could check a similar one at the store you bought it.

DMF
03-03-2016, 09:27 AM
I have 2 new 55 Gallon food grade barrels now. Who thought this hobby would get so expensive...? ;)

Hey Adam, great to see you here!

ash10383
03-03-2016, 10:18 AM
speaking of walmart, if you go to their bakery dept, you can get a white 5 gal bucket with lid for $1.00. they fit pretty nicely in our freezer.

eustis22
03-03-2016, 10:19 AM
>Who thought this hobby would get so expensive...?

...said everybody, all the time.

maplestudent
03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
>Who thought this hobby would get so expensive...?

...said everybody, all the time.

I didn't realize i have so much competition for making the most expensive free syrup.