PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer

rayi
02-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Can I use a refractometer to tell if I have syrup when it's hot? If I pull off a little heavy can I use the same refracttometer to tell me how much at room tempature?

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Can I use a refractometer to tell if I have syrup when it's hot? If I pull off a little heavy can I use the same refracttometer to tell me how much at room tempature?

Depends. Some refractometers can't deal with liquid that hot (it can melt the plastic prism), some can. Most units have ATC (automatic temperature compensation), but you should check to make sure your unit is ATC or not. Either way, you have to wait until the liquid and the instrument are isothermal to some degree. They should work fine at any temperature the unit is rated to handle, as long as you give the syrup and instrument time to equilibrate. However if you put hot syrup in a well that doesn't have a cover, evaporation can continue from the drop for a little while until it cools, so you may get a higher reading than the bulk syrup actually is. Like lots of things, it's quite easy to use and to get a reading.....to use it right and get a GOOD reading is a bit more work.

Eds Constructors
02-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Still learning, what's the best way to know if it's done without a hydrometer, ie. #of drips from wood spoon, apron, etc. There weren't always thermometers and hydrometers. Lol
Thanks