PDA

View Full Version : Arch Materials

MiMappleMan
02-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone,

First time posting on here. Little about me- I have been making syrup for 2 years now, going on the third. Finally stepping up and having a 3'x7' continuous flow pan welded up, ready this weekend. Now I just have to build the arch.

Here's my question- what size angle should I use for the arch? Will 2"x1-1/2"x1/8" steel angle work around the top for the pan and then just 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x1/8" steel everywhere else? Also what gauge steel sheet should I side it with? I have 3/4" ceramic blanket to insulate the arch with.
Any help would be appreciated, taking this leap is a bit of a jump to do:twisted:

Cashcropin
02-28-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm in the process of building a 3+12 right now I'm not sure if it the right choice or not but I'm using 3+3 -3/16" for my top rail and 1 1/2 +1 1/2 for the rest of the build . I'm using 16 gauge mild steel for the sides hope this helps and good luck

newmod
02-28-2016, 09:48 AM
I just finished building my arch. I used 3/16x2x2 on everything except for the top rail which was 3/16x1.5x1.5. I think the sides were 14 gauge sheet. Everything works great. Wouldn't change anything. Make sure you add a blower to the unit!! 1 inch ceramic insulation would be better. Not much of a price difference. I think that bricking the arch is also a must. Keeps heat where it needs to be. I just dry stacked my bricks this year and it is working fine. I am also running AUF which is working great. After 2 full days of boiling there is almost zero ash in the ash pan. on my stack I used 10 gauge steel. Good luck with your build !!