PDA

View Full Version : do you need to use filter aid

KReinisch
02-24-2016, 08:48 AM
I have a maple jet hand filter press and I have used it a few times so far but I noticed some grit in the last batch I did. I might have put too much in it though. I do filter the sap out of the evaporator with a cone filter and then into my canning unit where I put through press.

maple flats
02-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Yes, the papers do not filter, they simply catch the DE (filter aid or FA). You must have the syrup hot, 190+ (I like 205-210), mix in the FA and send it thru the filter. Run the filtered syrup back into whatever you mixed the FA in with the syrup, then after the syrup discharge starts to look "polished or sparkly clean" then start sending it to the canner. Do not mix the FA into the syrup in the canner or you will not get all of the FA out of the canner, use a large SS pot of similar. What size batches are you filtering at a time? If over 3 gal, start by mixing 2-2.5 cups FA into the first 2 gal or so. Then run the mixture thru the filter press. After it becomes "clear" and you move the discharge of filtered syrup to the canner, you can then stop the pump and add syrup to the mix tank or pot. Then add about 1 cup FA for each 3-4 gal of syrup, mix and filter. If you use no FA all you are removing is anything over about 15 microns, with the FA you essentially remove it all.

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2016, 09:32 AM
The following might be helpful.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf