PDA

View Full Version : Single handed tubing tool

MaxJ
02-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Went to the local supplier and of coarse they have never sold one before "Because everybody is just using hot water, but we could order one for you"
Simple fix, one set of large Vise grips, two small regular ones, one visit to the fabrication shop. Total project cost for unit $50 parts and $50 for labor. Just have to get a piece of pipe to finish the job, but they work pretty good and I saved a nice chunk of change.

Cody
02-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Looks great,know my head is turning again.

maplestudent
02-24-2016, 06:45 AM
interesting design. I'm curious about the amount of hand strength required to install a fitting, especially in a condition where tubing is under tension. please let us know.

TerryEspo
02-24-2016, 07:02 AM
I hope I am wrong but looks like a tough tool to use to squeeze the fittings on.
Like Maplestudent said , when the line is under tension. I have a hard time sometimes with my two handed tool when line is tight and the weather is cold.

Maybe your tool will work great, please let us know how it works.

MaxJ
02-24-2016, 08:13 AM
I'll update later on today as I'll give it a try on a line installing a few drops. The amount of squeezing needed doing some tests on the bench was minimum, it might be a different story with a line under tension.

DJ Lasell
02-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Hi Max,
I like the simplicity of it.
How does it work in the field?
dj

MaxJ
02-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Well I finally got the tool finished with some degree of success. Added the much needed inner tubes this morning and then I went out to see how it preformed. Results need great grip strength, or two hands, so it was an easy fix just using a Irwin Quick clamp to close the tool. When there's no tension I don't need the clamp. I timed the last 15 drops and it took me 30 minutes. Trees where close together and no steep grades.13437

TerryEspo
02-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Happy it is working for you.

I imagine the Irwin works best when used near the tubes and then just click, click,click the fitting together.
Any tool is better than the darn hot water thermos, lol.