PDA

View Full Version : pull taps ?

chuckwagon
02-23-2016, 05:37 PM
My taps have been in about 8 days and not really getting much sap,should I pull them out and wait for better weather or just leave them in,not sure how long tap holes last,im using tubes and buckets, also if I pull them can I retap the same trees or should I tap other trees.2 of the trees I tapped are pretty large and have 2 taps in them. Thanks

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Sit tight and give it time. Tap holes on buckets will be good for 6 weeks or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckwagon
02-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks,some warmer weather coming maybe they'll flow a little better

saphound
02-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Mine are doing the same thing..about an hour North of you. Tapped Saturday, had a good run Sunday, and have slowed right down since. Thought yesterday (Tues) would be good, warmed to mid 40's after a night in the 20's..but didn't flow much. I was watching one drop every 5 seconds on most trees. Who knows why but I still think it's early. Don't pull your taps, it's coming. Something different this year is we have no snow on the ground at all here to keep stored sap cool with. Might have to boil what I have by this weekend.

maple flats
02-24-2016, 09:31 AM
My taps have been in since 1/20. Still very little sap. Sit tight, the season will come.

johnallin
02-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Pulling your taps will not be good. You risk elongating the hole preventing a proper seal when you re-set, and/or drilling new holes in that same tree would be even worse as you have now effectively doubled the tap count for that tree. As others have said...be patient they will run.

chuckwagon
02-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone,I guess name of the game is patience,bear with me I'm bran new to this .sap hound where abouts are you at if you don't mind me asking,I see maple flats is around onieda,about 2 hours north of me.

saphound
02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm in Tioga County NY, about 15 miles west of Binghamton.