PDA

View Full Version : Plugging filtering/canning unit into dryer outlet?!

flyswatterbanjo
02-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Hey Gang,

I picked up a second-hand 18 gallon, waterjacketed, Leader canning/filtering with a 3000 watt heating element this summer. Since I won't be setting it up in its final resting place yet (sugarhouse on the docket for this summer... hopefully), I'd like to set it up in my kitchen and run a wire and plug to our cloths dryer outlet about 15 feet away from where the unit will be set up. Any reason this won't work?!

My electrical wiring knowledge is just broad enough to get me in trouble and not deep enough to be very useful. To my thinking, I'd wire the heating element to a section of wire long enough to reach the outlet and wire a plug to the end of the wire. When I need to run the canner, I'd unplug the dry and plug in the canner.... Sound reasonable?! What am I missing?

Thanks!

maple flats
02-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Compare the plugs. If things are wired correctly having the plugs match should indicate compatability. Second, read the amp load on the canner, a dryer is usually 240V 30A. If the canner does not call for 30A you will not be protected if it has a problem, you could be putting too many amps where the unit can't handle it and cause a fire. There is a solution. If you need to use that outlet as a power source, make or get a cord made up that connects to an inline breaker or fuse of the proper size, then have the proper outlet on that "adapter cord". If you don't know how, find someone who does.
In wiring, the cord plug and receptacle are based on the currant rating of that cord (or wall outlet etc. ) Each configuration has a voltage and amp rating. Here's a link for just the straight blade configurations: http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx
By the way, 3000 watts on 240V is only 12.5A, you will likely have a 15A or a 20A plug on it, not compatible with the dryer outlet. The option is then to get an adapter made. You will either have a NEMA 10-30 or NEMA 14-30 receptacle for the dryer, the number is on the plug and the outlet, look closely. Get a plug to match that #, then use 10 ga. wier and run to a small fuse or breaker box. Put a 15A or 20A fuse or breaker in depending on which size the canner specifies. Then use 12 ga. if 20A or 14 ga. if 15A wire to a cord end or receptacle. That number will be moulded into the plug on the canner, buy the corresponding number in a receptacle. Those numbers might be NEMA 6-15, or 6-20 or 10-20 or 14-20 or 14-15, if a different number, just match it up with the same number for the receptacle. In each case, if the plug has 3 prongs you need 3 conductors and if it has 4 prongs you need 4 conductors, while in reality, the ground and neutral wires carry no current unless you have an electrical imballance. I won't cover that here.

flyswatterbanjo
02-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Dave,

Thanks for this tutorial. Lots of great information that should be helpful as I move ahead. I've got a neighbor who is an electrician and I'll probably ask for his help in setting it up. My wife has forbidden me from burning the house down....

Thanks again!