PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tanks Not Maintaining Boil

sr73087
02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
I have had this issue in the past and its really frustrating. I will being my boil and I get a great boil and as I go my tank begins to frost and my boil gradually becomes less intense. What do most people do to eliminate this issue?

Cedar Eater
02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Set your propane bottles in a tub of warm water. They will float eventually, so you have to secure them so they will stay upright.

Cedar Eater
02-23-2016, 09:44 AM
The problem is that the cold outdoor air does not transfer enough heat through the bottle wall to keep the propane boiling hard. The warm water is a much better heat transfer medium and a source of BTUs. Even if the bottle still ices up on the outside, the ice will be warmer than the ice on a bottle in the air and will still transfer heat into the propane.

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Like what Cedar Eater has suggested, placing your propane tank into water will solve the problem. I have plastic totes that I place my tanks into. The totes have handles so I run a bungee through the finger holes at top of the tank and then attach the hooks onto the tote handles. If you don't secure the tanks they will bob up and down as the propane levels drop. You'll find by using the water method you'll also be able to use all of the propane in your tank instead of always having a few extra pounds left in them that won't come out due to tank freeze up.

Willstrtr
02-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Or get a bigger propane tank so it doesn't freeze up.

Zucker Lager
02-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey SR73087
Do you have propane in your house? if so you can tap off of that and never run out, or low pressure. They make special quick disconnects for hooking up gas grills out side by tapping off the house line. You can get them at your local propane dealers. Jay

Cedar Eater
02-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Hey SR73087
Do you have propane in your house? if so you can tap off of that and never run out, or low pressure. They make special quick disconnects for hooking up gas grills out side by tapping off the house line. You can get them at your local propane dealers. Jay

Many of the more modern gas grills and turkey fryers will not get sufficient flow or pressure from a home propane system. Your propane supplier will usually be happy to rig a higher pressure regulator to feed an outdoor appliance from your home propane system. They might not even charge for it, since they will be selling you more propane.