PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 evaporator meausurement

Samuelvw1
02-23-2016, 09:01 AM
I'm purchasing a 2x6 evaporator for next season in looking to get the measurements of it so the carpenter I hire to make a shed for me knows how big to make it also if anyone can help me know what size shed I need to fit it in there comfortable that would also be great thanks

Sam
Shelton,Connecticut
50ish taps

Bucket Head
02-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Overall, with float boxes, draw off valves and the base stack on the back, I'd figure on 3x7 feet- minimum. Probably even a little more to be safe. Now you have to figure out how much room you want to have surrounding it to be able to work it. What do you consider a safe amount space would be between the smoke stack and wall? How many visitors will you have taking up space in there? Will you have enough room around the rig to work with onlookers? Make it as big as you can! Everyone else on this site will tell you the same thing! Good luck.

Tweegs
02-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Our shack is 12x24 and holds a 2x6.

Since we used a ridge beam in the construction, the evaporator is offset slightly to allow the stack to maintain clearance of the beam (double wall stack at the roof jack).

Length wise it’s all good. Room to have a stack of wood inside the shack, plenty of room on the opposite end for the RO and head tank closet.

Width wise I wish I’d have gone at least 14’, 16’ would have been peachy.
The wide side has a 20” counter to hold all of the processing paraphernalia and still there is ample room to get at the evaporator.

The narrow side squeezes down to about 3 feet between the float box and the wall. It’s a reasonable distance, but “feels” tight, especially with all that hot stuff right in front of you.

This works well enough for the two of us.
Put an occasional guest in there and things get cramped quickly.
I put on a 8x24 deck to give visitors a place to go and stay out of the mud.

lpakiz
02-23-2016, 12:16 PM
If your are wood fired, leave adequate room to load the firebox, as well as some space to stage the next load of wood.
Drawing it out with chalk on your sidewalk, showing the door open, and remember, the door is darn hot.