PDA

View Full Version : sap storage?

hard maple
03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
What does everyone think about having the sap bulk tank inside the sugarhouse? I'm not refering to a feed tank, but the entire sap supply. Say next to the evaporator or above it.
How many of you maple traders think this would have effect on the grade of syrup produced?

ennismaple
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
We have 2 - 800 gallon tanks inside our sugar camp. One is for raw sap, the other is for concentrate from the R.O. Since our camp isn't insulated and there's probably 6 feet horizontal from the side of the evaporator to the tank I don't think it warms the sap at all.

parsissn
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
We keep our storage tanks in the same building as the evaporator. Again, our space isn't insulated or heated. I actually think it helps keep the sap cool on the wamer days when the sun is out vs. keeping it outside where the sun will hit it more.

softmaple
03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
we have ours in two locations inside and outside. the one inside is filled up first then we fill the ones outside due to being cooler inside during the week and the ones outside later on in the week so they stay cooler during the boiling times. the stuff we collected yesterday is frozen solid inside, i hope it unfreezes when we need it to boil on the weekend

brookledge
03-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Alot would depend on the type of tank you are using and how much heat they are subject to. The best thing you can do is to see what the temps are in your sugarhouse where your thinking of putting the storage tank to see if the heat from the evaporator will affect it. You can always build a simple wall to shield it from the heat. I have stainless milk tanks that are insulated so I keep my sap outside until I pump it into my feed tank which is inside. It could certainly have an effect on the grade especially when the tank is low or empty, the bacteria will grow on the sides alot faster if it is warmer.
Keith