PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Vacuum System Question

jberube
02-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I have been making maple syrup for a few years, but I have been doing the traditional bucket method. I want to switch to a vacuum system and I haven't been able to find any resources that tells me how to do it. I know a few things that I need, such as a pump, mainline, 5/16 line, etc. But I do not know how to set it up. I can spend some money but not too much. Can anyone help me out with suggestions or videos on how to set it up? Also suggestions for inexpensive pumps, around $100 and what parts I will need. All help would be greatly appreciated!

vtwoody
02-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Search on here my friend...also, check on uvm Proctor Maple research and cornell maple research center sites.

cheap pumps - search for "sap guzzler", "shurflo"

Again, best thing you can do is spend some time searching the forums - most of the answers you are seeking (along with the questions you don't know you need to ask) are here.

Lastly, see if you can spend some time around someone in you area with a piped woods...people are generally helpful in sharing info...especially if you offer to help them out a little in exchange for the info....

good luck, have fun!

DoubleBrookMaple
02-22-2016, 10:14 AM
vtwoody is right..

There are so many variables to possible answer your question without dozens of questions in response. I built my own arch, vacuum system, and this year an RO that I am running right now.
I studied threads on the forums for weeks, and many hours to decide what suited me, my budget, and capabilities in ability and equipment.
For my vacuum system I used this as my model, but used my own ideas (some failed) before winding up with my current version 4.1 It is an electric with a HI-Low switch that turns a submersible well pump on and off inside the vacuum chanber to send the sap into the holding tank. The mechanical have an external pump. There are many different designs.
I am a believer in electronics over mechanical components, as I saw the reliability improvement in my days in aircraft maintenance. I recommend an electric releaser. My vacuum pump is a used 10 cfm Gast 1023 on ebay for $169 that has performed well for 2 years with 25 inches of vacuum at my 2000 ft altitude.
Here is the one I first liked...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l4hQHhjG9k&index=9&list=FL6pZlOFLvLs8Uz0ZPymrmlg
You can see his postings on here, or sugarbush, I don't remember...

Here is mine running...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoaQwsg8LB4

Here is my first, and a later version..

Good luck...