PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maples - early buds

JDsap
02-21-2016, 01:31 PM
The warm December we had really opened up a lot of the silver maple buds in the Metro area. Many of the trees that I usually tap have late(r) season looking buds on them. In years past I'd typically pull the taps when the buds get to this size. Has anyone else tried tapping any of these type of trees this year? If so, what is the quality of the sap? I am trying to decide if it is worth it or just search out a few of the silvers with tighter (more normal) looking buds and tap those instead.

Thanks for the help.

SDdave
02-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Tap them, tap them all.

Silvers are notorious to having large buds. They look like they are swollen to the max but they aren't ready to burst yet. We haven't had that much warm weather to force a tree to break yet. (knock on wood). What I typically do is look at the buds, they should be a real nice red color. Now when they start to break the color will change to a more of a greenish red. That's when the "antennae's" are going to start to pop out. If your tapping on buckets it's real easy to look at each individual tree to determine. For the sap quality, use a small amount of sap in a steel cup and take a handheld torch to it, smell the vapor. If you got some funky smell then you got buddy sap, if not, then good to go.

Hope that helps,

SDdave

wbreitbarth
02-21-2016, 01:52 PM
I only tap silver maples. I am 1 Hour south of the cities and they have been running for 3 days now. Sap is just fine I would say tap them!

foxtail
02-25-2016, 09:40 AM
You are tapping now? I am in Faribault and didn't think we were ready.

SDdave
02-25-2016, 05:48 PM

Oh yes we are tapped in the southern half. Sap running too. Got ya scared yet? :o Don't worry its only the start and not the finish line yet.

SDdave

wbreitbarth
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM

I am in Waseca and collected 20 gallons this week on 12 of my 24 taps

foxtail
02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
I think I may have lined up around 100 silvers today on new private property.

I think I have enough equipment so I might as well try to tap them all. I didn't buy that brand new arch in WI for nothing.

JDsap
02-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks SDdave!

Since I had the equipment I decided to tap the really buddy looking silvers and see what happens. They have just starting to flow in the last day or so. I'll see what I get and test the sap once the buds start to turn color.

foxtail
02-27-2016, 09:02 PM
I got the trees today. Permission.

SDdave
02-27-2016, 10:29 PM
I got the trees today. Permission.

Now make some beautiful syrup out of those babies! !

SDdave