PDA

View Full Version : Sap color

Eds Constructors
02-21-2016, 12:18 PM
I tapped a few new trees this year and a couple of them seem to put out sap with a yellowish tinge to it. The two in question are very large and still in wooded lot, so no pesticides ever in question. Was wondering if I should toss it or...? The rest of all the trees give nice clear sap, maybe sugar content or maybe just bad tree to tap? It's a gusher, I got just shy of 3 gal of sap from this one tree since yesterday. Hoping it's a keeper!
Thanks

TrapperX
02-21-2016, 02:05 PM
I tapped a few new trees this year and a couple of them seem to put out sap with a yellowish tinge to it. The two in question are very large and still in wooded lot, so no pesticides ever in question. Was wondering if I should toss it or...? The rest of all the trees give nice clear sap, maybe sugar content or maybe just bad tree to tap? It's a gusher, I got just shy of 3 gal of sap from this one tree since yesterday. Hoping it's a keeper!
Thanks

I have one tree doing the same and have left it aside.
Read other post just mix it in but will wait to see what others say.

I did check the sugar content and it is actually 1% higher than my other trees in the same area :D 2.5% avg of trees this one is 3.5%

Eds Constructors
02-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Thank you, I have done the same (setting it aside) and it's from a gusher. So I may try and do a separate boil on that sap alone. See if it's tainted? Or maybe it will clear up. I'll collect from that tree and do 10 gal sap boil and see what I get. Wish me luck, I'll post the results, unless someones advice /experience tells me otherwise.
Thanks

Galena
02-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Some rain or snow got in, that's all. Taste it - so long as it tastes just like all the nice clear sap you're getting from other trees, it's fine to boil. Usually sap is only chucked if a squirrel or other critter has fallen in and drowned. In which case, always chuck it out and really clean that pail well!!! And yep I've been doing this awhile :-)

TrapperX
02-22-2016, 05:51 AM
Some rain or snow got in, that's all. Taste it - so long as it tastes just like all the nice clear sap you're getting from other trees, it's fine to boil. Usually sap is only chucked if a squirrel or other critter has fallen in and drowned. In which case, always chuck it out and really clean that pail well!!! And yep I've been doing this awhile :-)

I don't think that is the case for mine. I am using 5 gal buckets with holes that are drilled tight around the tubing, then I have a toothpick size breather hole and we have not had any rain or snow. I went through last years (first year) notes and saw that the same tree was tinted and I just boiled it with the others.

Galena
02-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Well, in that case, just carry on and keep the sap. It's murky or cloudy sap that you have to watch for, or anything with an off smell.

Ravenseye
02-22-2016, 10:42 AM
I usually just use it along with any other sap I collect. Never really had a problem.

johnpma
02-22-2016, 11:39 AM
I have one tree giving yellow sap on 1 side in a bucket I tasted it and it did not taste good at all

Cedar Eater
02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
I have one tree giving yellow sap on 1 side in a bucket I tasted it and it did not taste good at all

Did it taste like maybe water ran down the side of the tree and got into it. That will all add yellow to the color and a nasty taste, not a spoiled taste, but more like tea made from tree bark.

johnpma
02-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Did it taste like maybe water ran down the side of the tree and got into it. That will all add yellow to the color and a nasty taste, not a spoiled taste, but more like tea made from tree bark. yeah kinda had a nasty rotten bark taste

Flat Rock Farmers
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Hey John,
Your tree could also be hollow and you're getting the water filtering in from rain and ice build up from the void in the tree.
Is the tree forked up above or split anywhere in the top?

Tom59
02-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Had one like that last year, big old sugar maple. First few gallons were yellowish, almost urine colored. Chucked that stuff,then it ran good and clear the rest of the season. Why???? dont know, but that old tree put out a bunch of good sap after that.

saphound
02-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Weird...maybe the tree just needed to pee, ha.:cool:

Snappyssweets
02-22-2016, 06:07 PM
I had the same first few days of tapping this season.

Perhaps its the warmer temps and weird fluctuations we have had in the temps?

Things are fine now but the first ten gallons I pulled from the trees this year was off color, Flavor was fine. I boiled it into the other as a whole batch.

Michigan Maples
02-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks

I tapped several trees that have never been tapped before, that I know of anyway, two are well over 100 years old. But the younger trees gave me some off colored sap, a bit cloudy also. After boiling it down some it seemed much clearer. I just went ahead and combined it with all of the other sap boiling. The taste was just fine.

johnpma
02-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Hey John,
Your tree could also be hollow and you're getting the water filtering in from rain and ice build up from the void in the tree.
Is the tree forked up above or split anywhere in the top? It is very tall and forked pretty high up. There appears to be a lot of dead branches high up.