PDA

View Full Version : lead soldered evaporator

patmaloney
02-21-2016, 08:15 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a D and G 3x10 evaporator. The pans were made in 1988 so they contain lead solder. These pans have been used only minimally and are in really good shape. I would like to start a couple thousand tap operation within the next couple years. With a steam away and RO this evaporator would fit the bill. I am hesitant to purchase this evaporator however because of the lead. Am I right on this? What is the greatest source of lead contamination in maple syrup? With an RO and a new steam away is the lead solder in the pans going to be significant source of lead contamination in my syrup? Any advice here is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Is the syrup you produce for personal consumption and gifts, or for sale. If selling, are you selling any bulk to a packer? What other sources of lead might you have in your operation: buckets and spouts, lead-soldered tanks, pumps, filter tanks, etc. How are you filtering your syrup?

In general, if you're using tubing and your only source of lead is the evaporator, you'd probably be OK, however the only way to know for sure would be to test your syrup. If you go 3 yrs without a sample of concern (> 500 ppb), then you needn't worry about it much. If you have other sources of lead in your operation, then it is more likely that you should have more cause for concern. There are ways to manage a lead-soldered evaporator to minimize lead exposure and transfer into sap/syrup, but it does take more attention.

If you are selling retail, and especially if you are selling to a large packer, then you should be aware that lead-containing equipment must be phased out by their producers over the next 3 yrs. After that time they will not purchase your syrup.

Finally, given all the lead concerns the public currently has about lead (from the Flint, MI situation), you might just want to steer clear.

happy thoughts
02-21-2016, 10:06 AM
The greatest source of contamination will be the pan because that's where sap has the most contact time. If you plan on leaving the pans filled between boils then you will be increasing contact time so the pan can still be a big source of contamination even with an RO and steamaway. The recommendation I've read is to drain the pan between boils. This will mean extra time and time means money. Also prompt and thorough filtering can help as a lot of lead will end up in the niter. Letting syrup sit unfiltered allows some of the lead to dissolve back into the syrup. You'll probably also want to have your syrup tested which will cost money and should be considered in the price. But the question I'd be asking myself is would I feel 100% confident feeding my syrup to my grandkids. If it were me, I'd pass on this.

patmaloney
02-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Tim,

I really appreciate your response. The evaporator would be my only source of lead contamination. I would use a filter press to filter. With the volume of syrup that I would make, some would undoubtedly have to be sold to a large packer. I am familiar with some methods of minimizing lead contamination, such as draining the pans between runs. I know I should probably pass on this but the pans are in excellent shape, I think that I could resell them in the future, and I may be able to buy it for a reasonable price. It's a tough call. Do you have any idea what a rig like this is worth given the information that I have provided? It also has hoods and a wood-fired arch. Thanks again.

patmaloney
02-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. The information that you provided is helpful.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-22-2016, 04:24 AM
Hey Doc, here in VT who would we send our syrup to and in what kind of container?

OldManMaple
02-22-2016, 04:58 AM
http://www.endynelabs.com/
I think it's about 35.00 and you only need a few ounces . US plastic has small sample jars.

BAP
02-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Do you know for certain that it has lead solder? 1988 could have been "Lead Free" solder. Most manufacturers went to lead free solder then went welded pans.

Big_Eddy
02-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Remember if you ever go to sell these pans, any potential buyers will have similar concerns. More so the longer you have them. If no packer will buy the syrup (3yrs from now) who will want the pans?

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Do you know for certain that it has lead solder? 1988 could have been "Lead Free" solder. Most manufacturers went to lead free solder then went welded pans.

Most companies didn't switch to lead-free solder until 1994. Leader Evaporator switched a few years before. Pans made in 1988 are almost certainly lead-soldered.

TerryEspo
02-22-2016, 08:36 PM
"Buying cheap equipment to save money is like holding back the hands on a clock to save time. It just cant be done ! "

As time passes and people get more freaked out about lead, the pans could be worthless.

No doubt in my mind I would pass on this deal. For free I would not boil my sap in that pan.

markct
02-23-2016, 09:05 AM
The greatest source of contamination will be the pan because that's where sap has the most contact time. If you plan on leaving the pans filled between boils then you will be increasing contact time so the pan can still be a big source of contamination even with an RO and steamaway. The recommendation I've read is to drain the pan between boils. This will mean extra time and time means money. Also prompt and thorough filtering can help as a lot of lead will end up in the niter. Letting syrup sit unfiltered allows some of the lead to dissolve back into the syrup. You'll probably also want to have your syrup tested which will cost money and should be considered in the price. But the question I'd be asking myself is would I feel 100% confident feeding my syrup to my grandkids. If it were me, I'd pass on this.

Not necessarily true, lead soldered buckets and tanks are often worst since the sap is slightly acidic and spends a lot of time in there and the seams are very clean, unlike the niter layer that builds up on pans and makes a barrier to the lead