PDA

View Full Version : How long in the Pan?

backyardsugarer
03-03-2004, 12:40 PM
How long can paritally finished sugar sit in the pan. I finished up what I could last night 3/2 and it does not look like I am going to get a run until at least the weekend. Should I drain the rest off or can I let it go 3 or so days?

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
I have partially finished syrup in my evaporator that was last cooked on Monday and it may be sometime next week before I fire it again. Normally, as long as all the sap in the evaporator was boiled/pasterized good, it will keep for a week or two as long as it is not sitting in direct sun light.

I stand to be corrected, but this has always seemed to be the case for me and I would like others opinions also.

vtsugarmaker
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I've never had an issue with leaving partially boiled sap in the pans during the season. It is the warm weather that will get you. As long as you have boiled the sap for a little while, you should be fine.

MaineMapleDave
03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Happens to me all the time. It should be fine. I have noticed that if the sap has started to turn color in the boiling, it has probably boiled enough to be nice and sterile. The longest I have held it in the evaporator has been for about a week and a half. If it gets cold (I naievely hope it will) it might freeze right up, too, which will help.

Have fun.
Dave