PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day !!

TerryEspo
02-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Well, I woke up on happy note, weather was just above freezing, decent day for February and I was all excited to work on my lines and adding Tees, just normal getting ready stuff.

Well, be careful what you ask for....

The melting snow made it difficult to walk, falling through all the time and getting snow inside my boots, wet pants and socks. Creek has water running over top the ice, Snow machine wanted to sink instead of normal go forward slowly.

Then the worst happened. I was clearing a small little "turn around" trail with my chainsaw, looked good enough so I stopped cutting. I jumped on my Doo and tried the new little path,,,,,WRONG,,I ran over an old fence and got all hung up on it, post in my tunnel, wire everywhere, stopped me dead.

Bolt cutters, tipped machine on its side, cut wire, pulled wire, removed old post from between my track. 45 Mins later I was mobile.

Damage,,,,,,I pulled a rivet off that holds my heat exchanger in place, (bent it good) not sure what else. Good news is , no leaks with the liquid cooled system.

I am so disappointed in my foolishness, I knew the old fence was around there but figured the snow machine would ride on top, soft snow allowed snow machine to find the fence !!!

Will bring the machine into the garage tomorrow and see what else I can find.

Just GRRRR at myself !!:(

What a start to the season.

Terry

psparr
02-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a normal day sugaring!

BAP
02-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a normal day sugaring!
Ditto, been there, done that in form or another

TrapperX
02-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Look on the bright side, your are not hurt and can continue on.
I thought I was going to read you broke your leg or something.
Your sled can be fixed quickly but you take time to mend.

Glad your not hurt and hope your repairs are not expensive.

MISugarDaddy
02-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt also. Sounds like the weather is going to freeze things up for the next 10 days or so (except for Tuesday and Wednesday) so you should have time to get your repairs done and finish up your work in the woods before tapping time.
Gary

TerryEspo
02-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Very nice words from you guys, thanks.

I took a pic of the damage, rad pulled off the rivets and bend the rad some, and tore the rad hose. Studs clipped the rad edges, near miss from completely wrecking the rad. No leaks so still running but don't dare drive it, except onto trailer to get fixed.

Took the atv into the yard today, snow is like concrete after freezing the melted snow of yesterday.

Life goes on.

Thanks everyone.

Terry

BreezyHill
02-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Terry,

Look on the bright side. No leaks, nobody hurt. Just picture one of the kids being around and getting hurt in the fence.

I saw good job! Lesson learned...reset.

Not every learning experience in life has such a good ending.

Every season you will learn something new...not always directly related to sap production every time.

Few years back road crew was mowing the road side. The reached to far and hit a pasture divider fence. Sucked in 200'. The next month the same guy was mowing on the other side and hit my high tensile 3 wire fence. Sucked in 500' of three wire fence...broke the end assemble, and every post and batten between. They don't mow our road any more.

Good Luck Terry!

Ben