PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Maple Syrup for Display

Zucker Lager
02-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Anyone have an idea for a replacement for real maple syrup for use in a display bottle??? My wife has a neat display bottle that she wants to have look like a full bottle, but I'm too stingy to give up syrup just for display ha ha. Thanks Jay

DrTimPerkins
02-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Anyone have an idea for a replacement for real maple syrup for use in a display bottle??? My wife has a neat display bottle that she wants to have look like a full bottle, but I'm too stingy to give up syrup just for display ha ha. Thanks Jay

Motor oil has about the same color and viscosity. Just be sure that nobody is ever going to open it and take a swig.

wbreitbarth
02-21-2016, 03:08 AM
Used fryer oil maybe? Or some type of booze? Captain, or Whiskey? I'm sure you can find the exact color your looking for that way, if you don't drink it all...

lpakiz
02-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Water and brown food coloring?

maple flats
02-21-2016, 07:36 AM
With our push to have everything real, why would you try to deceive the customer? Even if you only have a small production, it should always be genuine and if it needs to get consumed at some point, it is after all the real thing!

Big_Eddy
02-21-2016, 08:30 AM
How big is this display bottle??????
There must be someone close to you would sell you enough real syrup to fill it at a reasonable cost if you don't want to use what you produced yourself.

Zucker Lager
02-21-2016, 12:01 PM
We make a very small amount of syrup for us and family / friends only no sales. This is only a decoration for our kitchen not trying to fool anyone. IF I were a commercial business I would never think of doing this. I could use real syrup I guess but then if the old seal doesn't seal won't that spoil? I like Dr. Tim's warning because in time someone could make a mistake and I wouldn't want that. All good ideas I'll look into all of them thanks for the input. Jay

KV Sappers
02-21-2016, 03:33 PM
I personally would have a bottle of Crown Royal Maple on display, that way when I need to warm up a little when boiling just crack the bottle open and have a swig.

ericjeeper
02-21-2016, 04:59 PM
I like the brown food coloring idea. Let me know where to find a bottle of brown food color.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Galena
02-21-2016, 05:10 PM
No such thing as brown food colouring...it comes in yellow, red, green, and blue. You would probably have to combine a fair amount of red and yellow to get basic orange, then add green (I think) to help darken it up.

BUT...tinted water looks and acts like tinted water!!!! Esp if people can pick up this bottle and see how liquid it is, you could be costing yourself a sale or two because it may look like you're trying to rip them off. Even at room temp syrup has a viscosity to is and coats the glass. So either go with Dr Perkins' suggestion, or go to the store and buy a bottle of grade syrup. At least it'll be the real thing in case someone does take a swig :-)

Cedar Eater
02-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Myers Dark rum and Caro Syrup. The alcohol should keep the syrup from spoiling. I haven't tried this recipe, but I have had the two ingredients separately and I didn't die.

psparr
02-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Syrup from the shelf at the store.

Zucker Lager
02-22-2016, 11:13 PM
So then Dr. Tim:
Would I label that 10W - Maple? ha ha