PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tapping this weekend?

climb.on
02-20-2016, 06:52 AM
It's very early, but the forecast looks like we will have solid couple weeks. Any downside to getting taps in this early, given the forecast?

Suburban Maple Man
02-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Gotta take it when it comes! I tapped 12 trees today. 8 wet. A few dripping 1 per two seconds. It's early but warm winter and forecast looks like sapping season. Ya just never know...could cool off pretty easyily but it's late enough where I think it's fine to tap. Good luck!

Islander
02-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm going to wait (Lake Minnetonka). It looks like we'll be pretty chilly coming towards the end of Feb. I think just after next weekend I'll put out a few 'feeler' taps which will be about 2 weeks earlier than normal for my little backyard micro climate.

climb.on
02-20-2016, 09:13 PM
I popped a couple in this afternoon. I just couldn't help myself. Nothing running here today, but at least this weather forced me to get everything ready, so I won't have to scramble when it does start.

maplenutter butter
02-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Yeah I tapped about 200 hundred already and another 100 or so tomorrow. I dont think its to early, you just wont get much with this early run, but if it is an early warm up, I will at least be as ready as I can be. Good luck all!

RileySugarbush
02-20-2016, 09:53 PM
We put in a few test taps today. One running well. Will tap some tomorrow to catch at least some of any early run.

markcasper
02-20-2016, 11:05 PM
I was quite concerned a few days ago about the forecast and that I'd be up the creek in terms of missing some season. Now, the forecast has turned quite a bit colder going into next week. I plan on starting to tap later this next week after hopefully finishing up some new tubing areas. I tapped the same test tree yesterday and there was nothing yet. Today, sap was in the spout but not dripping.

hughes53
02-21-2016, 07:54 PM
We put in about 200 taps today in the Mankato area and all were dripping quite well.