PDA

View Full Version : Maine Maple Sunday 2007

Revi
03-06-2007, 06:48 AM
We're having a maple fest this year here in Skowhegan. It should be fun!

Skowhegan Maple Fest - 2007

This year we are planning to have a Maple Week here in Skowhegan. It will start with a pancake breakfast at the Masonic Hall on Water Street on Saturday the 24th of March from 7 until 10 am. Kevin Warner the chainsaw carver will be working in Downtown Skowhegan also!

The next morning, the 25th is Maine Maple Sunday. Jeff McCabe and the Maple Princesses will be the tour guides for a fun filled bus tour of Skowhegan's sugarhouses. Meet at the Community Center off Route 2 at 8:30. Or you can visit in your own vehicle. At our sugarhouse, Chez Lonndorf on the Burrill Hill Road we'll have a wood fired pizza oven and a sale of handmade ceramic mugs to benefit Main Street Skowhegan. Strawberry Hill will have ice cream with their renowned organic maple syrup and Smith Brothers will be open on the Rowe Road as well.

The week continues with an Ice Cream Social at the Skowhegan Public Library at 7 pm on Thursday the 29th with coloring books and a movie about maple sugaring.

The week ends with a folk music concert at 6 pm on the 31st by Billy Jonas at the renovated Opera House above the Skowhegan Municipal building.

Local restaurants will be serving Maple dishes and local motels will be featuring maple products. It should be sweet!

It should be fun for all and help out Main Street. More info at (207) 474-7370 Talk to Iver Lofving

royalmaple
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Sounds like a great event. We need to make it more than just one day. It should be changed to the entire weekend statewide.

Kim
03-06-2007, 07:33 AM
I added this event w/details to the calendar - link is above in blue navigation bar.
Kim

TapME
03-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Revi, I'm going to look at my calander and see if on the 24th we can go to the celabration of maple in your home town. sap is the only thing that we can't plan for, and if the run is big we will have to boil. I may get brave enough to try and make some maple cream, time will tell. Hope your season is going well. 70 taps so far, not much of a run only 10 gallons today, hoping for 30 or more on monday.

Revi
03-12-2007, 07:03 AM
If you come up on the 24th, come visit us. We'll be there as of around 11 am, on Saturday. There are three other sugarhouses within a mile or two of ours. If coming from the south, take exit 132 off 95, turn left off the exit ramp, go 12.2 miles on rt. 139, turn right on the Burrill Hill Road. Our sugarhouse is 2.2 miles on the right at the Skowhegan town line.

We're having the pancake breakfast downtown first, but that's over by 10.

It should be a fun weekend. I agree with people, it should be a maple weekend, not just Sunday. NY and Vermont are having success with a weekend. People come and stay in the area and spend money.

Revi
03-12-2007, 07:14 AM
If you come up on the 24th, come visit us. We'll be there as of around 11 am, on Saturday. There are three other sugarhouses within a mile or two of ours. If coming from the south, take exit 132 off 95, turn left off the exit ramp, go 12.2 miles on rt. 139, turn right on the Burrill Hill Road. Our sugarhouse is 2.2 miles on the right at the Skowhegan town line.

We're having the pancake breakfast downtown first, but that's over by 10.

It should be a fun weekend. I agree with people, it should be a maple weekend, not just Sunday. NY and Vermont are having success with a weekend. People come and stay in the area and spend money.

Thanks Kim for putting it in the calendar! Can you please change the time on the Billy Jonas Concert on Saturday the 31st to 6pm? It's a concert for all ages and we need to get to bed in time to get up and haul sap buckets. Thanks!

WF MASON
03-19-2007, 04:26 AM
I awoke early this morning to the sound of traffic, I believe that would be everyone heading for Somerset county to buy their syrup for maple sunday.

Revi
03-19-2007, 06:58 AM
It could be. They'll have to get down the incredibly muddy road that we have our sugar shack on. We need to have a sap run to have anything to sell on Maple Sunday. It doesn't look like it'll run until Thursday.

The traffic hasn't gotten here yet...

Revi
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
We had the three ring circus at our sugarhouse. We had a wood fired pizza oven, people selling pottery mugs to benefit Skowhegan's Main Street project and our sugarhouse going. Spreading the show out definitely helped. The Maple Princesses showed up at around 11. Great fun was had by all, and what a day! The maple sap bagels were a hit after the pizza ran out!