PDA

View Full Version : food grade? vs. non food grade, define please

michael marrs
02-20-2016, 05:40 AM
I am collecting barrels and buckets, and maybe even a tote, for sap collecting, and am shopping for food grade . My buddy tells me "food grade" would be established only in the case of "used" stuff. In other words, if I bought 2 new 55 gallon rubber made garbage pales w/ lids, and stored a chemical product in one, , and milk or something edible in the other, the first one would be considered non food grade by virtue of its prior contents, and the other, food grade, for the same reason. My wife on the other hand says the composition of one plastic vs. the other is different. who is correct? Thanks

wnybassman
02-20-2016, 05:53 AM
I am collecting barrels and buckets, and maybe even a tote, for sap collecting, and am shopping for food grade . My buddy tells me "food grade" would be established only in the case of "used" stuff. In other words, if I bought 2 new 55 gallon rubber made garbage pales w/ lids, and stored a chemical product in one, , and milk or something edible in the other, the first one would be considered non food grade by virtue of its prior contents, and the other, food grade, for the same reason. My wife on the other hand says the composition of one plastic vs. the other is different. who is correct? Thanks

Listen to your wife.

SeanD
02-20-2016, 06:05 AM
Your wife is right (Get used to that by the way). Some plastic containers like garbage cans, etc. are made from recycled bits of other plastics that are not safe. You'll have no way to know what's in its history. Others here can go into great length about that.

What I will say is that just because something is food grade plastic does not mean it is food safe for you. Some people sell used containers as food grade - and they may have been at one time - but they once contained something that was not safe. For example, a while back a place was selling used totes as food-grade plastic. They very well could have been made with food grade plastic, but the problem was they had contained soap for a car wash.

So my advice for used containers is to find one you can verify its use and contents. I look for actual food labels like canola oil, tomatoes, alcohol, etc. Just be wary of anything that contained common allergens like nuts, soy, etc. It can be a pain hunting around, but you'll find something. They are definitely out there.

Good luck,
Sean

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-20-2016, 06:15 AM
this could be why im divorced, because I didnt listen to my wife :D

odave
02-20-2016, 06:41 AM
Here's a good site that shows how to identify food safe containers:

http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets

But as mentioned above, be careful if it's a used container. The previous owners may have stored some nasty stuff in them.

michael marrs
02-20-2016, 06:57 AM
thank you all, very helpful, I was looking at tote, that says maple syrup on its label, and the above post with the numbering system was very helpful, and did not even consider re-cycled products, and I try to recycle everything I can thank you all

MT Pockets Producer
02-20-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't have the link right now but saved this photo when I was looking last year.

Eds Constructors
02-20-2016, 01:34 PM
I've found that the local pizza shops and bakeries throw away a couple 5 gal containers weekly,they are more than happy to let you take them and they are easy to use. Pouring in pan,collecting,etc. Most have had cooking oils in them and clean out real well with some Dawn dish soap. The bakeries get smaller buckets(1-2gal. for frosting and such with tops even) again more than happy to give them to you. Hope I was of help.