PDA

View Full Version : Starting up in Maine

Mini_Maple_Men
02-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Hi, I am looking for a little guidance on what I need for liscences and permits to start a maple syrup based business in Maine. My boys are 12, 10 and 6, and they have been working really hard to make some syrup. That being said they want to be able to sell some of it and I like the idea of a family business to be able to help defray the out of dads pocket expense. We are very small and it would be around 10 gallons or so a year for now. Any help would be appreciated. Lee

Mike's Sugar Shack
02-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Getting licensed is easy it cost $25 bucks a year. The state will send somebody out to inspect you and if remember correctly the biggest thing was having a roof or something covering the evaporator. The only time I had a inspection was the first year I got licensed. It really is pretty painless.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info! I got ahold of the state and they pointed me to all the paperwork neccisary. It is all filled out and ready to mail. The boys have named the new business Suger Shack Maple Works...lol I thought it was a big name for a little hobby, but the boss said she liked it, and so it is what it is. Thanks again, Lee

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-20-2016, 06:51 AM
They will likely ask questions for how you clean/water supply. I remember having to send in a well sample for our water.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Yup the question was on the paperwork. We are going to have a small RO so the purified water from that will be used for cleaning.

Mike's Sugar Shack
02-20-2016, 08:52 AM
I was told by the inspector I only needed a water sample if I was setting up a kitchen to make other stuff other than maple syrup.

boondocker
02-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Very easy to obtain, what they look for is that there is a roof over the evaporator, any lights have shatter proof bulbs and that the building is somewhat rodent proof. They did say to me before they come to my place that they like to see a sanitary counter where you bottle your product but in the next breath he tells me that they have licensed people with a homemade rig in a field with a tarp over it as a make shift roof......so like I said they are easy to get.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Paper work is mailed. Now we wait and hope we get a kind inspector! If not I will just introduce him to the kids and they will persuade him or chase him off...lol
Thanks for all the info. Lee

Flat47
02-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Getting licensed is easy it cost $25 bucks a year. The state will send somebody out to inspect you and if remember correctly the biggest thing was having a roof or something covering the evaporator. The only time I had a inspection was the first year I got licensed. It really is pretty painless.

For a small producer making 15 gallons or less, the license is $2 last I knew. Yup - two dollars!

Atgreene
02-21-2016, 11:09 AM
We fought the licensing tooth and nail when it first was proposed. Stupidest waste of state resources ever, and last I knew, the only state where it is required. Take something pure and simple and complicate it.

western mainer
02-21-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm glad there is a inspector some of the sugar houses around should be shut down, dirty and lights not covered and more.
Brian

Fiddlehead
02-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Government has never solved a problem. They just cost the productive sector, including sugar makers, more money and headaches. Half the reason we make maple sugar is to get away from their system.

western mainer
02-21-2016, 05:21 PM
We are making a food product here. There are some that I would have there syrup. A few bad apples ruins it all. I don't like Gov. control but sometimes you need it.
Brian

Mini_Maple_Men
02-23-2016, 01:01 PM
So with all the help and suggestions, all the paperwork is done and filed, the business name is registered and all set. Other than the inspectors visit we are all set to go. We got the pans sweetened last night and all the mods tested including redneck blower connection for our baby arch. Thanks again for all the help132571325813259

eustis22
02-23-2016, 01:26 PM
>Government has never solved a problem.

Except for, you know, the pesky natives that used to run around here.

>but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Mailem37
01-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Mini_Maple_Men, can you tell me if you were required to submit a water test? In my case, I am a small producer (less than 15 gallons) and am working between an outdoor evaporator and completing the product indoors in the kitchen (final boil, filtering and bottling). Any help you can be is appreciated. Thanks.

K.I. Joe
01-02-2017, 04:53 PM
To the best of my knowledge if you have city water you don't need a water test if you have well water you need to have the water tested every year. I need to have mine tested every year

Mailem37
01-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Thank You! I will submit the test with my application. Thanks for the help.

McAllister farm
01-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Mini_Maple_Men, can you tell me if you were required to submit a water test? In my case, I am a small producer (less than 15 gallons) and am working between an outdoor evaporator and completing the product indoors in the kitchen (final boil, filtering and bottling). Any help you can be is appreciated. Thanks.

Your evaporator will also need to be in a building too before you can get licensed

Dale Sparrow
01-14-2017, 07:41 AM
I'm surprised the government doesn't require you to get a license to apply for a license.