PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes for saddles

Clinkis
02-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Picked up a bag of lappierre saddles from my dealer but he was sold out of the 31/64 hole tool. Closest I could find was a 1/2 regular bit to drill which is only 1/64 bigger. When I drill the holes there are some slight imperfections. Gaskets seem to go in tight. Will the gaskets seal up and compensate for the imperfections? Think this will be ok or should I wait for the tool? Any other suggestions for drilling the holes? Going to be at least a week before dealer has proper drill tool in stock.

unc23win
02-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Picked up a bag of lappierre saddles from my dealer but he was sold out of the 31/64 hole tool. Closest I could find was a 1/2 regular bit to drill which is only 1/64 bigger. When I drill the holes there are some slight imperfections. Gaskets seem to go in tight. Will the gaskets seal up and compensate for the imperfections? Think this will be ok or should I wait for the tool? Any other suggestions for drilling the holes? Going to be at least a week before dealer has proper drill tool in stock.

What kind of imperfections? Which saddles super saddle with clips or Brannon style with zip ties? Brannon have bigger gasket. I would say a smaller hole is better, but might be a PITA to get the gasket in and hard to find a bit. Might be a good idea to also wire tie them. If they end up leaking you can tape the holes and drill new ones when you get the tool.

Clinkis
02-19-2016, 01:38 PM
They are the wire tie style saddles. Have a large gasket that covers entire surface under saddle.

VT_K9
02-19-2016, 10:31 PM
I would get the tool. No only does it secure to the pipe for a better cut to establish the hole, it is more controlled to prevent going all the way through. I use the saddles with the screws with ratchet teeth on the bottom on 3/4" and 1" lines. I tried drilling the holes by hand and it was a no go for me. That year I had limited saddles and thought I would save the money. The next year there were more saddles and the tool was a no brainer.

Good Luck,

MIke

CharlieVT
02-20-2016, 06:03 AM
I've used my tapping drill with a bit with piece of 5/16 tubing on the bit as a stop. Never found a need for the special tool.

I use these kind of saddles, IPL stationary multi fitting saddle, get 'em at Bascom's:

The gasket of these saddles doesn't go into the hole in the mainline, it just surrounds the nipple on the saddle that does go into the hole in the mainline. I use a bit size that makes for a snug fit of the nipple in the hole.

The saddle ratchets tight, but I add a couple of wire ties to ensure a snug fit.

Never had a leak with this type of saddle using this method.
Some other types of saddles haven't worked so well; I've had leaks using the type of saddles where the input barb swivels and don't buy those anymore.
Your mileage may vary. ;)

TrentonMaple
02-20-2016, 09:24 PM
I used a regular drill and a bit without a problem. Same saddles as the post above. Just be mindful not to lean into the drill so you don't go through the underside. No way on earth could I justify the cost of a dedicated mainline drill.

Russell Lampron
02-21-2016, 05:55 AM
I've used my tapping drill with a bit with piece of 5/16 tubing on the bit as a stop. Never found a need for the special tool.

I use these kind of saddles, IPL stationary multi fitting saddle, get 'em at Bascom's:

The gasket of these saddles doesn't go into the hole in the mainline, it just surrounds the nipple on the saddle that does go into the hole in the mainline. I use a bit size that makes for a snug fit of the nipple in the hole.

The saddle ratchets tight, but I add a couple of wire ties to ensure a snug fit.

Never had a leak with this type of saddle using this method.
Some other types of saddles haven't worked so well; I've had leaks using the type of saddles where the input barb swivels and don't buy those anymore.
Your mileage may vary. ;)

There is a screw and toggle nut that goes with those saddles. Use the screws and there will be no need to tie them with wire.

I used a regular drill and a bit without a problem. Same saddles as the post above. Just be mindful not to lean into the drill so you don't go through the underside. No way on earth could I justify the cost of a dedicated mainline drill.

I used to use a piece of 2 x 4 that I hollowed out on one side with a hole drilled through the center so that the tip of the bit would stick out just far enough to drill the hole in the mainline. When you've got a lot of mainlines and saddles to drill in the special tool is a lot simpler to use and a must have. I finally bought one and I'm glad that I did.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2016, 03:25 PM
As Russ said, get the screw kit for those saddles. The screw kit is 28 cents and these saddles are very well built and should provide a good leak free seal. They are also available in a max seal saddle.

Clinkis
02-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Ended up finding a 31/64" bit from local automotive supply store. I attached a piece of pex pipe over bit leaving about 1/2" exposed so I wouldn't drill out other side. Worked good. My saddles are fixed and don't swivel so no concerns there.

Had a great day today, ran 350' of main line and got a bunch of laterals and drops put in. Great day to be in woods, no snow and mild temps but I resisted the urge to tap any trees. Looking like a 2 week cool down again so didn't see the point.