PDA

View Full Version : Sap bags and wind

newmod
02-19-2016, 12:34 PM
How in the heck do you keep the bags from spinning and flipping upside down OR blowing of the tap on windy days? Only thing I have done is start propping up sticks against the bags to hopefully hold them until they get weighted from sap. Just wondering if there is a better way? Have a wind advisory today and already picked up some bags blowing in the woods. UGH.

psparr
02-19-2016, 01:31 PM
I just put some lead split shot in each bag. Really holds them down well.

buckeye gold
02-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Lead in a sap bag is a no no, unless your just kidding.... marbles would work, or just pour a little water in it'll boil off

psparr
02-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Was wondering how long it would take someone to chime in on that. Ha ha.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Are you using PVC Sap Sack holders, or the metal ones?

If you are using plastic, I take a rubber band and half hitch it around the tap, then loop it over the PVC holder.

Working like a charm for me.

backyard sugaring
02-19-2016, 08:42 PM
If your using pvc sap sack holders, drill a smaller hole over the larger one it locks in on the tap.Good Luck, Lee

wbreitbarth
02-21-2016, 06:08 AM
If you make the smaller hole to the right or the left of the hole you don't have to worry about it falling off the tree at all and it locks it on a lot nicer then putting it above. Just takes a quarter of at turn to take it off and 100% guaranteed not to fall off ever. Works just like a key.