PDA

View Full Version : Anyone around L/A area tapped yet?

ToddyKioti
02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
With this crazy winter I am on the fence about tapping tomorrow or holding off for another week. I have some lines but most taps (60 or so) are all on buckets. I realize the larger producers are getting started.

So whose all in or holding out?

ToddyKioti

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-18-2016, 06:34 PM
We are in Peru, just north of you and we may tap this weekend. If not this weekend, certainly next weekend. Its coming!

Mini_Maple_Men
02-18-2016, 06:34 PM
We tapped our 40 taps on 3/16 the 3rd weekend in January, gathered 40 gallons that week, should run good this weekend. So the short answer is I would tap em. We are in China. So very similar weather. Lee

ToddyKioti
02-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will get it done today and hope for a decent season!

Best of luck to all.

BRL
02-19-2016, 06:13 AM
We are in Minot and will start tapping tomorrow.

BROWN71
02-19-2016, 08:11 AM
We have 30 taps out and is flowing strong here in Dresden!

Scott

Peeper
02-19-2016, 08:53 AM
I've been tapped since January 27, and boiled down 42 gallons from Monday & Tuesday's run. Got almost two gallons of light amber from the 1st boil of Januay's run. We'll see what happens in the next two days!

West Sumner Sugar
02-19-2016, 09:13 AM
We are going in today and tomorrow. We tap in Lewiston, Auburn and West Sumner. I feel like we are behind this year but probably due to the very odd weather.

ToddyKioti
02-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Well I am feeling much better about my decision to start getting taps in today! Thank you all for your replies. I put in about 70 taps today and they were all running a little bit. I have a feeling tomorrow may be a good run...I hope I am correct. This is way better than last year when it seemed everything was frozen solid and then broke loose all at once!

I was tempted to try to catch the late January run but I was to worried that the weather was going to spiral downward and I did not want to risk missing the late season runs. With how messed up this winter I guess we will just have to wait and see how it pans out. It's funny to think that last year I was also saying "what a screwed up winter"...lol

We are anxiously waiting to see how our poor man's AOF and AUF will do to help speed the boiling process.

ToddyKioti

maineboiler
02-21-2016, 06:43 AM
I tapped yesterday in the Oxford area. A lot different from tapping in 2015 ! Little snow on the ground and mild temps. The sap was running as soon as I pulled the augur out of the tree. Looking to tap more today and get up to 120-140 taps. Eventually to 200 +. Looks like it may be a short season