PDA

View Full Version : very first tapping question?

chuckwagon
02-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Hello all, I just tapped my first trees,I marked my drill bit at 1 1/2 inches when I tapped my spiles in they don't seem to go all the way in,they are snug in the tree and getting a couple drips of sap from some of them,my question is are the spiles supposed to go all the way to the end where you tap them with hammer or should there be some sticking out of tree. Thanks

sweetwater sugar shack
02-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Yes they will b sticking out

chuckwagon
02-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Ok thanks, thought maybe I did something wrong

Russell Lampron
02-18-2016, 05:30 PM
You should only be driving the taps in until the sound changes to a tunk sound and don't drive them in like your driving a 20 penny spike.

chuckwagon
02-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks, I think I might of hit 2 of them to much I did get the sound you described then I tapped a little more not sure if I cracked them,I can't see any cracks guess I'll see if sap comes out of them if not I'll pull them and put new ones in

michael marrs
02-19-2016, 07:07 AM
I seen a thing on youtube, where the guy lightly taps the spile 2-3 time, and when it is where you want it, the hammer will bounce back

chuckwagon
02-19-2016, 03:05 PM
I watched a few youtube videos,I'm sure some of the videos are legit butI think a lot of people just post videos to get on the inernet,think I'll listen to the people here on mapletraders.

Sugarmaker
02-19-2016, 03:26 PM
yep light taps like a girl, until the hammer bounces back. You don't want to crack the wood around the tap hole which can cause leaks down the tree.
The hole should always be deeper than the spile or it would close off the hole in the spile.
Regards,
Chris

chuckwagon
02-19-2016, 03:58 PM
I just checked my taps no sap today,maybe to cold?,or not tapped right? Will check them sat. Supposed to be near 50 here today didn't get out of low 30s

KV Sappers
02-19-2016, 06:31 PM
I just checked my taps no sap today,maybe to cold?,or not tapped right? Will check them sat. Supposed to be near 50 here today didn't get out of low 30s
Your taps are probably fine. I'm in South Central PA and my trees did not run today. What was in the buckets is frozen solid. Tomorrow and Sunday temps are to be in the 50's I'm sure your trees will run then.

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Hello all, I just tapped my first trees,I marked my drill bit at 1 1/2 inches when I tapped my spiles in they don't seem to go all the way in,they are snug in the tree and getting a couple drips of sap from some of them,my question is are the spiles supposed to go all the way to the end where you tap them with hammer or should there be some sticking out of tree. Thanks

Chuckwagon, far be if for me to be a seasoned expert, but I did made a note in my syrup log last year of something that Dr. Tim posted on this site. He said to drill 2.5-3" deep for gravity collection and 1.5-2" for vacuum collection. I always take his comments as gospel.

At 1.5", I think you might be tapping too short. You need to leave some space in the hole for the sap to collect and then to flow into your spiles. Anyone care to chime in on this or am I barking up the wrong tree with this advice???? :confused:

psparr
02-19-2016, 07:28 PM
I don't think he would have recommend tapping that deep. Maybe he'll chime in.

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2016, 07:29 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?10734-How-Deep/page2&highlight=tapping+depth

Here's the post he wrote..... It does seem a little deep........

chuckwagon
02-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Interesting,2 of my trees are very large with lots of bark,I will give it another day or two to see if it starts flowing

psparr
02-19-2016, 08:08 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?10734-How-Deep/page2&highlight=tapping+depth

Here's the post he wrote..... It does seem a little deep........

Good find. Thanks.

chuckwagon
02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Did get some sap today in all buckets,not as much as I thought with warm Temps but at least I got some hopefully get more sunday,thanks for everyone's input sure I'll have more questions shortly thanks again

Polish Wizard
01-26-2018, 05:37 PM
I followed Karen's (Run Forest Run) link to thoughts from Dr Tim and found them very informative to my questions.

I also found this thread of articles interesting.
https://ohiomaple.wordpress.com/category/taphole-sanitation/
I believe the link may offer more than one posting, so look for one dated May 18, 2017.

It answered a few of my questions about the sport, such as whether I should have tapped by now here in north western PA compared to folks in Vermont or New Hampshire for example.