PDA

View Full Version : Sugaring work or work in town???

markcasper
02-18-2016, 02:43 PM
How many have this dillema?
Signed up for overtime on Sunday at my job, another guy will take it if I don't. With things seeming to turn faster than expected, what would you guys do? Work it or get tapping? Keep in mind I'd gross about $375 for working that extra day.

Cody
02-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Only you can answer that.How much work you have till ready in bush and do you have any sick days built up?A lot of ifs,a lot of help ha.Go with what you feel best with.

Cedar Eater
02-18-2016, 08:52 PM
That seems like something I would decide on Saturday night after I see what I get done before then.

adk1
02-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Life isn't always about the $

1tapattack
02-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Take the shift. Go to hardware store and buy a head lamp, then go take em. Sometimes in a small business your business hours don't start till after business hours

seandicare
02-19-2016, 12:34 AM
the way i look at it is, would you be boiling more than 10 gallons of syrup that day if boiling, or would it cost you not being able to boil that much the next couple days???

like was mentioned as well, you could always go out with lantern/headlamp and work a couple hours after your shift......

also would be a matter of your financial welbeing at the time. is the $375 really needed or can you do without it, and still have everything you need.

alot of info in that only you can really decide

Russell Lampron
02-19-2016, 05:42 AM
My train of thought is that if you still have plenty of time before the thaw work the shift and if you don't, get the taps in. I generally take the time off and do the sugaring stuff myself. Syrup sales will more than make up for the missed hours at work.

markcasper
02-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Guess I kind of jumped the gun by posting this! Its not a matter of $$$$. Its a matter of if I don't pick up Sunday, I may then get in a spot in the next month where I could be forced to work an extra shift in the heat of the season, and that I really don't want or need!! I have lots of vacation reserved for after the 10th of March, but thats 3 weeks away yet. I decided to work Sunday and try to get as much done the next two days off. When I checked the weather yesterday they seemingly have kept increasing the temps higher for all of next week, except accuweather. The difference between accuweather and weatherchannel is 15 degrees on a few of the days. How in the world is one suppose to plan on that? Just wanted some other peoples thoughts. Thanks.

maplestudent
02-19-2016, 06:51 AM
given that you might be forced to work later when it will be even less convenient, I'd go with the sure thing now, work Sunday, and get it out of the way.

markcasper
02-19-2016, 06:58 AM
given that you might be forced to work later when it will be even less convenient, I'd go with the sure thing now, work Sunday, and get it out of the way. That is kind of what I was thinking, I'm thinking even with the warm spell things will be slow for the first week here anyway considering there is still over a week left in Feb.

Cody
02-19-2016, 07:03 AM
Ha if you get in a bind call 7154955020 or text maybe be able to help,only about 20 minutes away.