PDA

View Full Version : Sap lift at vacuum stabilizer

tonka
02-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Will it work to have a sap lift run straight into a vacuum stabilizer? Another thought I have been thinking about is to have a duel line sap lift, more tubing space, better transfer of vacuum, I need to make a lift station at my released so I was thinking about running 2 lines out and down to the 1 mainline, what do you think, will it work?

BreezyHill
02-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Tonka,
By stabilizer are you saying a balance tank? If so that will work very well.

This is a 2" x24" pvc "manifold" but one could call it a balance tank. When I get time I plan to attach the black to the top and a new blue line to where the black line is to get cooler sap temps. This is the first ladder of a series of 7 ladder sites. There are 4 1/2" risers did have 5 by error in the math.

The 4 x 1/2" riser is equivalent to the volume of the 1" main so vac transfer is not reduced.

I plan to add this setup to ladders 2 & 3 this season to get the sap out of the bush at night better.

I ordered clear 2" pvc but it came in 1.5". I can use this on a 3/4" feeder lines on this system but will have to see how it works first to see if it will work on the 1". My concern is vac transfer with the turbulence the lifters make in the manifold.

W/D wont work on ladders down the series as they will eliminate the bubbles the risers use.

Let me know if you need more pics.

tonka
02-18-2016, 06:22 PM
I apologize I didn't describe my thought well enough for the sap lift to my releaser. Off of the mainline I was thinking about doing a double sap lift with 1" line, instead of it meeting up into one mainline that runs to the released (top of sap lift), I was thinking about keeping it in a dual line fashion to the released, so instead of one mainline plugged into the manifold on the released there will be two lines. One thing about the sap lift is the bigger the pipe the more air/gases you need to successfully raise the sap in the lift, I thought maybe it would help if there was two lines that would meet at the mainline for better vacuum transfer. I hope this makes better scenes.

BreezyHill
02-18-2016, 07:27 PM
larger lines do need more air but there is a much larger amount of slippage with larger lines. Slippage is the sap that flows around the air bubble and slides back down the riser.
I ran 3 1" single risers and they did not work efficiently. The 14' was the best and the 18' was the worst. but the 14' was nowhere near as good as a spider style lift. The 1/2" riser moved better than the 5/16 and thawed faster as well.

1" takes quite a bit longer to thaw on sunny days and on a cloudy 35 degree day it takes much longer yet.

tonka
02-18-2016, 08:23 PM
The duel sap lift will be maybe 4' high, now that you mention slippage in the 1" line I just might down size it to 3/4" or maybe 1/2", how may down lines would I need for in the range of 400 taps? I would use the star setup if I had the stars on hand so I'm left with using the dual line lift setup.

BreezyHill
02-19-2016, 07:48 AM
I would recommend 3 risers of 1/2" with the third having a ball valve to adjust it as needed to meet your flow level.

I also used 3/4" and slippage was much less but it still was an efficiency killer.