PDA

View Full Version : Noob from Indiana

blurr95
02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi all. Like the title says, I am from Indiana, just a bit south of Terre Haute. Looking to tap this Friday if all goes well. I have been interested in doing this for quite some time, just never have done it. My wife asked me about learning how to do it, so I figured it was time. I am very lucky that I know a fellow that has been doing this for years, that has helped me a lot already. I work in a sheet metal shop doing welding and custom fab work, and we have done work for this guy for several years. Looking forward to this.

Jason

Galena
02-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Hey there Jason

This is a very useful site so you'll learn a lot here. The fact that you know sheet metal welding is a HUGE plus as you will be able to make a lot of equpiment yourself. Like you, I hung out for a season or two with the local maple producers and learned a lot, put in sweat equity like driving the sap-collection truck and collecting 2-3 times a day in trade for learning from them. Now I do my own microbush (6 trees!) and can get a stunning amount of syrup from them.

There is probably a forum for Indiana at the bottom of the homepage, sadly I am a little too far north to be of help to you. But good luck and have fun anyway! :-)

PoseyCoMark
02-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi Jason, and all the other folks here. I'm also new to this site and also live in Indiana, just west of Evansville. Sap here has been flowing pretty well the last few days. Looking forward to see what the rest of this season will be like. Hope your season goes well.

Mark

blurr95
02-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Hi Mark, I just got my taps in last Friday, and haven't seen much sap yet. Hoping tonights cool down gets it going.

Jason