PDA

View Full Version : North Central Wisconsin

southfork
03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Things are looking up according to Accuweather. I will begin tapping on Sat. the 10th. Plan to set 350 on the first day. Deep frost with two feet of recent snow, should be fun as always. Good luck to everyone.

Race in Oneida county

Brad W Wi
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Southfork where are you located? I'm going up to Winter in Sawyer County on Wednesday and plan to start on Thurs. The weather man says a warming trend is on the way. Now my question is, why is it, when the weatherman has a forcast that we like we believe it??

southfork
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Brad,
My sugarbush is about 6 miles south of Rhinelander. Last year we tapped on March 4. I figure we are late enough in the spring that even if the weather prediction is a little off, things will happen shortly. Besides, the boys are home from University this weekend so no matter what , the taps are going in. Good luck in Winter.

Russ
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, Accuweather's 15 day forecast really changed over night. One of my brothers will start tapping Thursday and all three of us will have drills spinning over the weekend. By Sunday, we should be down to some of the bag areas, which will get finished Monday and Tuesday. Snow is almost knee deep in some areas; I'm hoping that it will get knocked down a bit before the weekend.

southfork
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Weather Channel states 48 F for Saturday, March 10 in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. That removes all doubt. Good luck to all heading to the sugarbushes this weekend.

Race in Rhinelander

Up to 750 taps depending on help.

southfork
03-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Tapped 425 trees today. About a third were running, mostly those in the open. Those that were running were not great, but it is a start. The few reds that we tapped were dry. Expect things to pick up tomorrow.

Race in Oneida county, Rhinelander.

Russ
03-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Over the past couple of days, we got 3600 taps in. 900 more (bags) for tomorrow and we should be done... at least in the drilling regard. Some holes were wet starting around 8:30 as we drilled. No snowshoes; snow is a few inches above the ankle in most places. As Race said, some trees are awake, some are still sleeping. We should be feeling pretty good tomorrow night after getting this accomplished.

Hope we don't get as much of a cool down as predicted for later in the week. Good luck everyone.

markcasper
03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
russ, i have found that out as well, I like your reasoning of some trees being "asleep". I have been tapping since Thursday. I was in a differnt woods today and roughly 1/2 of them were dry. Maybe only 10% were consindered to be good with running after the drill was retracted.

The frost needs to start working out and will most likely be a good week before things snap--though 3 days of 50 plus temps will surely help. Good luck!

Ahnohta
03-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Tapped last weeked 20 taps 50% not running. Tapped yuesterday now at 50 taps all but one running. Many running well.

Pilsen Twnshp

southfork
03-18-2007, 04:20 PM
So far things are tough in my area of Oneida county. 425 taps have yielded 250 gallons of sap for the season ( tapped March 10 ). I expect things to improve later this week but most likely will be a short season. Turkey hunting just around the corner.

Race in Rhinelander

southfork
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Not sure what to say other than I am glad that I do not depend on Maple Syrup production for a living. 2007 to date, 425 taps have yielded about 20 gallons of light to medium amber. 2.7% out of the tap. Have concentrate to finish another 5 gallons or so. Am going to bottle today in between the hail and possible tornado. If I see anyone elses equipment fly by I will post it.

Race in Oneida County, Rhinelander

Russ
03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Praying that the next 2-3 days won't break open the buds... after that, lows back in 20s near Ogema. Frost is pretty much out of the ground. We have the evaporator tweaked to boil about 375 gallons per hour. Makes for shorter cooking days when everything works right. Lighter color with the new separate finishing pan unit and the reduced cooking time. Other large producers in the area are at 25-33% of a normal crop as of last weekend; we're close to 45% after last night's cooking. Just waiting for more sap at this point.

Russ
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Brother Ryan went to the woods today to retap, or at least start so we could see if there was a difference in sap production. As soon as it warmed up, the new holes were running well and the old holes did nothing. Sap was clear. He and his neighbor got most of our Price county woods done; they'll be joined by brother Rod tomorrow to do the Lincoln county woods. I'll head over Thursday to collect and boil. We hope to go into next week and the following weekend; weather for us looks favorable. I'll post results when we're done.

southfork
04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Have collected 1300 gallons of very clear sap ( 420 taps ) in the last 48 hours. Finished syrup from this sap is medium amber with excellent flavor. Should be another good day today then expect things to wind down by this weekend. The frogs are having way too much fun for this to last.

Race in Rhinelander, Oneida County

southfork
04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Finished the last of 83 gallons yesterday. Was a tough year but the syrup quality was very good right to the end. I tapped a few reds, about 50 or so, and for the first time ever they outperformed the sugars in terms of sap quantity, on a tree to tree basis. The reds ran from early March until April 16. I am not a big fan of reds as I have plenty of sugars but I tap them if I have to walk by them. This year they got the job done.

Race in Rhinelander, Oneida County
420 +or- taps.

markcasper
04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Southfork, You are fortunate to be a bit further north. I had good quantity, but the quality just wasn't there. Everything that was made after the cold snap was very off-flavored. Everyone that I have been talking to in my area has said the same thing-their syrup was off flavored too.

southfork
04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Mark,
The times that we could not get sap was due to very cold temperatures and I think that led to the better quality. It was not too warm until this week. There also were very few insects such as moths this year ( I am on buckets ). Probably a result of the cooler temps.

I heard of others to the south mentioning the off flavors so I am sure that you are not alone.

See everyone in 2008--------Race in Rhinelander

Russ
04-21-2007, 05:06 PM
At 11am this morning we finished off the last of our syrup for the season on our flat pan. What we cooked off yesterday and today was slightly cloudy, slightly stringy sap resulting in about 60 gallons of very much commercial syrup. Light color, but strong taste. During the season we went through all of our pallets and almost all of our round wood, so more sap would have had us scrambling. Lessons learned this year:

1. Retapping saved our season. We came in a few gallons above what we would have expected in a normal year. Wouldn't want to do it every year, but this season was definitely the most strange of any previous ones. People in our area who didn't retap, and especially those who pulled two weeks ago before the second season, had disappointing years.
2. Letting the generator run out of gas is a bad thing. I think we burned out our induction fan motor (a $212 mistake) because of this; the second time it happened we burned out our generator (back current from spinning fan motor?) We haven't had anyone look at the generator yet; I'm hoping there is something inexpensive that can be replaced to get it back up and running. Borrowed parents' back-up generator from their business to get us through yesterday.

We have some improvements to make for next year. But for now, we need to bottle and sell about half for retail; the rest we'll sell bulk.

maple flats
04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I would think on the generator that the same breaker that protect things during normal usage would trip if a high surge hit on back current. Check all fuses or breakers.

southfork
03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Accuweather says March 9, 2008 just might be the tap day for me in Oneida County, Wisconsin. Will keep an eye on things, deep snow, little ground frost, warming temps will set the stage this year.
Good luck to everyone and I hope you have an enjoyable and safe sugaring season.

Race in Oneida County, Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

dkr
03-04-2008, 06:55 AM
My place is just out of Aniwa, we are thinking of tapping next week. Will be up this weekend to finish getting things ready. There is a lot of snow in the woods yet

southfork
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Cleaned the sugarbush roads today. Zero ground frost in the woods of Oneida county. Forecast has been revised to be colder for Rhinelander so may not tap this weekend. No hurry, will just sit and wait.

southfork
03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Assuming Accuweather is correct, I see no sap flow in my Oneida county sugarbush within the next two weeks . There are a couple of warm days this week but with the deep snow I would not expect much. No tapping today as not going above freezing . Will sit on it and see what happens. Can always change on a dime.

Good luck and please keep us updated as things change--------Race

petersp22
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm going with intellicast, which looks a bit more favorable, and tapping today.

southfork
03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Set about 50 taps today in Oneida County, Rhinelander. A couple were running, most dry. Tomorrow will put in another 200-300 taps. Almost all are sugars but the deep snow is slowing the flow a bit. Will need a few more warm days to get things going well in our sugarbush. Timing seems to be about right for tapping.

Russ
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
May not tap this weekend, temps next week near Ogema will be cool. My uncle tapped over 200 trees south of Hwy 86 on Hwy 102 the past two days; his best tree dripped once every 8 seconds. Many bags are just flapping in the breeze after two days. Not worth dealing with over knee deep snow, with another 2-3" falling. All of our lines have been repaired, totes and jugs are in position; just waiting for a clear "GO" signal from Ma Nature. Fresh holes coinciding with the right temps would be a change for us. Last year our holes sat for 2 weeks with no flows. Not retapping this year, that's for sure.

southfork
03-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Tapped another 300 today. Most were running pretty good. Will tap more over the next 3 days then let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck to everyone----Race

Russ
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Race, you're the first person I've heard of that's having any kind of a run. What is "pretty good" in terms of seconds between drops? How much snow is around the tree bases by you?

Based on the reports posted here in the Wisconsin forum, along with observations and conversations from others across the state, the trees are still sleeping or just beginning to wake up.

- Camp Minikani down in Richfield (NW of Milwaukee) tapped a week ago and hardly has any sap for their pancake breakfast this weekend.
- Producers I know around Thorp haven't even tapped yet.
- My neighbor here in town has 5 taps in his backyard. I looked in two of his buckets on a huge soft maple along the sidewalk... dry as a bone.
- Another producer near Ogema has had taps in for a while and is not getting anything from his pipeline.

Any updates from people are great... every year is different, and this year is very different from any we've experienced. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to give a report from their area.

southfork
03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Russ,
Most had about 2 seconds between drips lasting for several hours today. Had good afternoon sun here for several hours. I would say that about 20% are totally dry. These are on a ridge and the snow is still fairly deep and not pulled away much. The trees are open with no shade ( balsam etc.) and decent crowns. My bush for the past 8 years has been an early bird. Not sure why. Had Joe Polak out once and he too commented on how early it runs. It tends to be a week or so before his in Merrill. A neighbor next to me set about 300 taps today as well. Not sure how his were running as I did not see him at the end. He started tapping two days ago.
Good luck----Race

Russ
03-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Race, thanks for the reply. You're in mostly sandy soil as well, right? I wonder how much of a factor that is?

southfork
03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Russ,
Sandy loam. I am south of Rhinelander and I think that is how they classify it. Personally, looking at the weather outlook, I think most in my area could wait another week or so and not miss much. It is supposed to cool a little. I tapped mostly in the afternoon, while they were running, so do not know what the overall amount per bucket would have been for the day. My guess would be 2-6 inches per 3 gallon bucket, depending on the tree, not really sure. 20 % would have been dry, those on the north slope.. We tapped mostly lower land sugars yesterday and some were running but I did not get to that area today.

ryan marquette
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
WHERES THE SAP?????
Hello maple friends,
I am also having problems finding any sap. Somewhere between 150-200 taps in. I didn't count taps I just drilled holes,oops. Maybe thats why I don't get any sleep when the trees run. If I had to guese how many taps probably closer to 200. From the last 3 days I have about 50 gallons. Probably about 20" snow in the woods, still can't leave the trail w/4-wheeler & chains.
Good luck to everyone,
Ryan
P.S. Bring on the sap already

Russ
03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Heading over to the First Tapping ceremony by Elmwood. Might get some insight from other producers on the season.

www.wismaple.org

Russ
03-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Just got back from talking to my neighbor here in town (see my 3-13 message). Buckets on his soft maples are still bone dry since he tapped. Full sunshine, nice day, low 30s right now.

The sap will come eventually; the downside is that my boys have spring break this week and there's nothing syrup related for them to do. Maybe some tapping late in the week, but the week of the 24th doesn't look good either, according to Accuweather.

Russ
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, the forecast has changed somewhat for us, so my brother is starting to tap today. I'll join him on Friday. We hope to get the tubing taps done by Saturday and will then be down to the 1000 or so bag taps. We always do those last, we'll see how well things go and maybe start them as well. This is the first time we tapped during DST.

Been hearing more and more of the sap finally flowing in the southern half of the state, so our time is getting close. Finally.

jfroe939
03-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Every year we do about 170~ taps. We've got 6 in just for a test to feel it out. We're tap in the Shawano area. Nothing really all year yet just as everyone else has said, but for what it's worth with that kinda nice day and good sun my dad said those 6 did pretty well on this past Thursday. I live down south by Madison and take vacation for 2 weeks every year for sugaring. I'm guessing today (friday) and through the weekend will certainly be slow because of lower temps again, but it's getting close. How couldn't it be?! It's already the 21st of March. My biggest concern is that we go from 30-degree highs to 60-degree highs in a small stretch of time. I'm trying desperately to find a long-range weather report that is consistent. It's crazy how accuweather said last week that it would be in the 50's mid next week while weather.com's site said mid 30's. Then accuweather changed it back down the higher 30's. Tough to make plans at work for time off when you tell him earlier in the week that it's looking like you'll be gone next week for syrup, then they forecast cold weather again and now you have to tell him you'll be here afterall. But hey, it's spring in WI... what can anyone expect except constant change. I've got a few picks from the WMSPA First Tap in Elmwood. In the pictures are Alice in Dairyland tapping the "first" tree and Shirley and Keith Sand - the hosts of the event this year.

TR Hardwoods
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I can't believe the snow is gone out in Dunn county. Doesn't look like that in Portage County.

Russ
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Just completed day 4 of tapping... well for me, day 2, but brother Ryan started on Wednesday. All our pipeline is tapped, we have about 1250 more to put in with bags and small tote networks. This has been the hardest year for me in terms of tapping... 2+ feet of snow and not enough crust to support my weight (I'm a big boy), so with the majority of of my steps the snowshoes sink in about 8-12". Used muscles these last two days that don't get used in that way usually. Before we left the woods, we had 33 degrees F and minimal drips on the taps we did yesterday. We'll hold off the rest of the taps until next weekend; hopefully the snow will decay some and we can have a bigger crew. Might have enough in the bulk tanks by then to sweeten the pans and test our our forced air modifications this year. Time to grab a recliner and watch some hoops.

markcasper
03-23-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm from Dunn County. Theres plenty of snow in the woods yet, although many of the open fields and the prarie areas are getting bare. That changed yesterday when we got 4-5 inches of snow. There is lots of drifts from this past winter. There could be a 20 acre field bare, and all the snow ended up along the fenceline with 4-6 feet drifts. But I do reckon that the further south and east you go in the state, the more snow there has been all winter.

jfroe939
03-24-2008, 11:43 AM
We have 155 taps in now. We got 120 gallons collected off of the 89 previously tapped trees from Friday-Saturday's "run". Sap came in at 3.1% sugar. Easter Sunday's temp's only got up to 29 degrees by us in Shawano, but the trees were still managing to leak at 1 1/2 to 2 second drip intervals somehow. Still about 14+ inches of snow in the woods which is definitely hard on the legs, mostly because you kinda have to walk flat-footed to stay on top of the snow or risk sinking in by pushing off with the front part of your foot. The weather isn't showing much of a warmup over the next week, but if we can get 1-1.5 gallons of sap per day (per tree) over the next 5-7 days that's better than getting skunked.

Russ
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Things are quiet here in the Wisconsin thread... almost too quiet. Is everyone too busy collecting and cooking to post? Brother Ryan is getting the bag taps drilled and filled; we'll put bags out Saturday. We missed a bit of a good run today, but the snow is so blasted deep yet. There is sap in the tanks and totes, but nothing gathered yet. First collection will be late Saturday or Sunday. Weather looks much better for next week.

Come on guys, how are things going?

Chemist
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Russ,

I have been so busy cooking! I am over 8 gallons as of today. My previous best was 5 1/2 last year. We still have good clean sap too.

None of my sap has spent more than 24 hours out of the tree before it is boiled down, so my quality is excellent.

I would not be surprised if lots of people in this neck of the wood are just too busy to post.

Greg

Sugar Daddy
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
It's been flowing well this week. Cooked the past 2 nights and am just about caught up. Wednesday collected almost 2 gallons of sap per tap, but less yesterday with the cooler temps. Looks like it will run well today, tomorrow and into next week. The amount of sap I've collected to date is comparable to the average for a season - and the trees aren't showing any signs of budding out, so it will continue for awhile. If my wood supply holds out!

Russ
03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Saturday: Brothers finished tapping the bags while I worked on electrical stuff and finished some evaporator set-up. We tested the new (to us) 25KW PTO generator... all looks good. Only a low to moderate run, despite the nice weather.

Sunday: Collected pipeline tanks, bags, and totes in Price county. Ended up with 1000 gallons. Despite having plowed trails, the 4 wheelers had problems getting stuck; so what should have taken 3 hours took 5. Hauled the sap to the sugar shack and started collecting there. Went in over my knees in some spots; no snowshoes as it's hard to handle the 4 wheelers with them on. The extra two hours of time spent in the other woods cost us the opportunity to fire up the evaporator. We left the woods with 1400 gallons ready for cooking. (Mom's birthday, can't miss that no matter how much sap there is.) With forecasts for 2-6 inches of more snow, the sap will likely wait until Thursday when I can take off. This is the first year in twenty that we haven't made syrup in March.

Russ
03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
What a strange year... southern Wisconsin folks pulling their taps, while we haven't even made our first drop of syrup. Plus a few more inches of snow on the ground today and into tonight. At least there are moderate temps in the forecast... nothing too high in the near future. Snow cover will temper any really warm days. Resting up for big runs ahead, I hope.

Russ
04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Got back early last night; over the past three days we cooked all the sap we had collected. We're at 170 gallons of syrup; roughly 1/3 of a typical crop for us. Sap was consistent at 2%. So many Wisconsin people pulling taps this weekend, based on the message board, but our collecting crew came in yesterday with wet pants over their knees. Still a lot of snow in our woods, 2+ feet in areas, despite the warm temps. Snow hasn't pulled away from the trees in a lot of spots.

Evaporator changes have helped; with 2 of us running the beast and the sidecar finishing cooker we're handling over 360 gallons of raw sap per hour. Collecting with the snow depth has been our biggest challenge so far. No idea how long of a season we'll have; hope it's not over too soon.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Russ,

Glad to see you got that beast putting up the gph numbers you were looking for. With 2' of snow pack, I would think the best runs are yet to come for you. Too early to throw in the towel yet.

matrob
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Russ,
I'm beginning to wonder if this is it up here. The temps are not scheduled to go quite low enough. Even on saturday after 28 degrees we didn't get a great run here in northern Taylor county.

Here's hoping for a few more good days.

Matt in Rib Lake

Russ
04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
With so much snow in the woods, I think there are still good reserves of sap in the roots. A lot of our slopes are north facing, so the sunlight doesn't have as much power as on the south slopes. I use the Accuweather forecast for Ogema as my guide.

The guys I know south of Hwy 29 near Thorp are at approximately 1/3 crop like we are, but they have warmer temps and near zero snow left. I'd be more nervous if I was in that situation. Last year we had a warm week followed by a cold week. Journal says we retapped 80% of our trees on April 10. Still should have plenty of season left.

We'll take what ever Ma Nature wants to give us.

Russ
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Brother Ryan just called; he has 1200 gallons in the tanks ready to cook and is trying to gather more before the big rain/snow event later today and overnight into tomorrow. Mediocre run right now. Leaving work around 3 PM, should be in the woods by 5:30. Hoping for 2000+ gallons to cook tomorrow once the collecting is done. The woods roads will be mud slicks getting to the shack, but once I'm there, I'll likely stay until Monday. Weather looks good in the short term, especially if we get some snow cover to help us make it through the short warm up next week. Too early to say what the season results will be here.

matrob
04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
russ, you were right on. Sap started running about wednesday and hardly stopped during the big storm. I'll be collecting twice tomorrow, I bet. Averaging about 1-1.5 gal/tap today.

Matt

Russ
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
The woods looks and feels like early March rather than mid April. Our storm on Thursday, Friday, and into this morning dumped a mixture of rain, sleet, and wet snow. We got about 6-8 inches of white stuff on top of what we still had. Between yesterday and today, we collected and cooked all the sap from the woods; drew off a little over 100 gallons of syrup. Lows tonight and tomorrow night are supposed to be in the teens, so that may reset the trees. Warm up into later next week; don't know if the snow will buffer the non-freezing night temps. Pain in the butt with wet wood, but once we get the beast going, she'll each anything. Couldn't run at full steam today as I only had a 100 gallon sap buffer to work since the collectors were slowed by the new snow in the woods. Didn't pay to stay at the cabin since we (meaning my two brothers) won't have to collect again until Monday; gotta save my vacation days for, well, vacation. The season continues...

Russ
04-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Finished off the last syrup of the season yesterday. Ended up with about 80 gallons less than last year, but with the deep snow and uncertainty regarding how much help we would have this year, we did not put out several hundred additional taps as we did last year. Color and taste were good up until the end; no stringy stuff like last year.

We had enough help yesterday to not only finish off the cooking, but also pull taps and bags and take the holders apart, clean up most of the small equipment, and get stuff put away. Bottling will start this week, along with planning for next year!

southfork
03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Will begin tapping Friday, March 13 in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

Rhino
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you got the itch to southfork, we will start tapping our price co. bush on wednesday, the 11th. takes us 3 days for that woods. Hopefully all goes well that we can start lincoln co. on Sat. 14th. cold mornings on wednesday and Thurs. so I might get later starts then i would like. All the washing and other misc. jobs are done so its time. extended forecast sounds like a warmup for the weekend and beyond. should be easy tapping with the lack of snow. good luck to you!

southfork
03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Tapped about 300 this afternoon and will continue tapping Saturday and perhaps Sunday. Timing seems to be about right.

petersp22
03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
We're in. 72 taps and a few were running really well. High hopes for the weekend as the weather looks good.

Southfork - I'd love to see your operation sometime.

southfork
03-15-2009, 12:16 AM
We have 750 taps in, sap was running today. Some trees running excellent, others very little. Estimated a couple hundred gallons in the buckets by days end. Will assess and collect at end of day tomorrow.

southfork
03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Picked up 400 gallons of sap, another 300 ( estimated ) still in the buckets. Will post at seasons end.

Rhino
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
finished tapping sunday, had 4 tanaka tappers going. fixed lines yesterday and today. bags that were out since sat. the 14th are half full. will start to gather tomorrow. very weepy runs with these high temps. im sure the grade will be dark with the older sap but it all has a value. cooler nights and days ahead in the extended forecast so we will see what happens. good luck!

Russ
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I was running one of those 4 Tanaka tappers Rhino mentioned. Rhino (Ryan) is my youngest brother; he got us started back in 1989 when he put 400 taps in a neighbors woods and sold the sap to a local producer. And now here we are, in our 21st season. It's gonna be another unique year with the way our weather has been.

A few pockets of 12" snow in the woods on Sunday; that should be gone soon. Logging roads turning into mud slicks. Extended forecast looks good through end of month.

Ahnohta
03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
We may be a little behind up here in N Wisc, but we are still having fun. Just love being in the woods.

Tapped today, usually wait until 20th of March, but forecast looks good for next 5 days to let pass by.

Still lots of snow in woods, we even went snowmobiling 65 miles on Sunday.

Hope all here in Wisc have a great season.

jfroe939
03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
To what degree of affect does air pressure have on the trees? A while back someone told me that low pressure makes it easier for the trees to run than higher pressure. Therefore, when a low pressure (rainy) front approaches it would reason that the trees could produce better if that is true (all things being equal.)

I tapped a few over 200 trees near Gresham in Shawano County. We tapped on the 14th. So far, 9.5 gallons made with about 6 gallons equivalent in the pan and soon to be finished. Last year was a very good year and I know I'm spoiled into feeling disappointed so far this year because of last year being so solid. Even the few days that it got warm we've had very little sap production. Seems almost like an early season phenomenon. If we woulda had this same stretch of weather at the end of last season that would have translated into a bit larger run. I guess my dad and I sorta think it has something to do with frost in the soil yet even though at the surface it doesn't seem like that should be the case. But if you think about it, just a bit over a week or so ago, we were still seeing temperatures in the single digits. We also haven't had a lot of precipitation in our area over the past half year which maybe (?) has something to do with available moisture to the roots of the trees. I suppose we're somewhat glad that the temps dove a little the last 2 days... how long can the trees go with 50 and not freezing before budding out becomes a problem?
Just a side question/idea... we're only charging about $32 a gallon. Everybody and their grandma will tell you that's on the low side. Overall the market is strong, especially when considering demand from outside of local sales to neighbors, friends, etc. How do we know when we, as a general institution, are on the verge of charging too much? I know producing syrup is a labor-intensive art with energy demands and increasing costs all around, but last year I had a few people hum and haw about prices going up so fast and instead of them buying 3-4 gallons, they took 2 because they didn't want to pay the higher price. While my $32 a gallon is "cheap" compared to others chargeing much more, I'm concerned that the trend will "price-out" a younger generation that rightfully so doesn't see the benefit of buying $50/ gallon syrup when they've got greater concerns of buying clothing and more essential items for their family. What I'm saying is that it seems great to get $50 a gallon for syrup now, but that's just because the "old-timers" want their syrup because that's all they've known since they were kids. It's part of their Today's kids won't know maple syrup because of the higher prices and their kids for sure won't taste maple syrup because it will cost over $100 a gallon when they have kids. I suppose demand will drive prices, but instead of demand having a local flavor, it looks to have more of an industrial undertone in the future ??

Russ
03-20-2009, 10:15 AM
jfroe939:

In terms of what you are charging, answer this question: Is this a charity, hobby, or business? If you are selling a lot below market price (either bulk or retail), you are running a charity. If you sell a little below market price, enough to cover expenses but not your time, you have a hobby. If you charge enough to invest in more/better equipment, cover your time, and still have some profit, you are a business.

My wife says I have a "hobby" that has gotten out of control. Some people would say that those are the best hobbies to have.

Russ
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
No runs yesterday nor today so far... too cold. My brothers are in the woods, finishing up the sap they had collected yesterday morning. By my calculations, we should be at half of our expected crop after today. Temps for next two weeks look great... if they're accurate.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/wi/ogema/54459/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric=0

Russ
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Back in the office today to recover from the sap flood. In 21 years of doing syrup, we have never had a year where all the trees flushed day after day after day. Six days of collecting and cooking have resulted in us exceeding our past production record... we were running out of wood (Ryan, Dad, and uncle Jim are working on that today), out of syrup storage (I picked up 4 more drums from a friend of ours), and out of labor (bringing my kids to the woods Thursday for another big weekend of collecting and cooking). Like others, the syrup is lighter than we normally have. Also saw something I never saw before... when I was drawing off syrup Saturday, I had a bunch of little perfectly spherical niter balls getting caught in the strainer. Our niter is usually finer and like grains of sand; these were slightly smaller than a mustard seed. Lasted for two or three hours and then went back to normal. Anyone ever see this before?

MERIDIAN MAPLES
04-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Sugar sand has been just terrible the last 3 days. I've been making about 100-130 gallons of syrup before switching sides, and when I switch I've been taking hand fulls of sand out of the finish compartment. It's just been the last few days. The sand is like little bb's. Its been going through the filter press good yet.

southfork
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
It just runs and runs and runs. Never seen anything like it , not even close in my ten years of syrup making.

southfork
04-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Today will be the last day of boiling and clean up will begin in Rhinelander.

Russ
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Brother Ryan (Rhino on this board) and I will be starting to tap tomorrow and throughout the weekend with Rod joining us. Three drills going, probably snowshoes as well. Hoping to get most of the taps in, maybe leave bag taps for Ryan to finish up early next week. Evaporator is ready to go... bring on the sap!!

Russ
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, got all but 1200 in. Snow was tolerable in Lincoln county, but in Price county today it was over knee deep. Some trees started dripping around 11AM yesterday; all dry holes today with the colder temp. Rod and Ryan should finish up during the week; maybe we'll sweeten the pans next weekend?

NJG
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Third year in and we put our 50 taps in on Saturday. All were dry but very interested to see how you folks do this week, Russ. We live by Point but tap our land south of Catawba. It's just a weekend thing for us but the anticipation and not knowing if the sap is running just about kills me during the week!!

camp3sugarshack
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I have 37 taps out with my neighbor and two little sap suckers. So far very little sap in southern Ashland county, but thinking it will run today.

Russ
03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Just got a call from Rhino... he started the vac system in Price county today to suck the lines clear. He estimated he pulled in 200 gallons of junk and pumped it out. Running it for the rest of the day today and will dump again tomorrow; then start collecting. Run was overall slow despite 44'F temp; 4-tap tubing networks were dripping slowly. Lots of snow in woods yet. Rhino might post a summary when he gets home...

Rhino
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Started the day at daybreak to get the last 400 in on vac system. 22 degrees at start time. Trees were not doing much at all when i left at 2 oclock and the temp was at 44 degrees. Not a run just a slow walk. The snow in the woods is unreal in some spots. When i do something without snowshoes on, i sink to my thigh in some places. I don't like to hope for rain but thats what its going to take to compact the snow depth up here. I think thats why the trees are just weeping slowly to, their feet are cold yet. 1 more day of tapping some double trees and misc. work in the syrup shed and we will be ready. What ever we get in the next few days, will have to be collected on Saturday, because they are calling for a good amount of rain on sunday, hopefully it adds up to a fair to good amount.

NJG
03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the update! I don't think we have as much snow in our woods as you guys have. Most was calf-knee deep with less than 6 inches around most of our trees. It will be interesting to see how much we loose in a week. No roof over our heads yet so a rainy Sunday could be interesting.

jtiefert
03-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Got the buckets up on Sunday. Not a whole lot of excitement yet. 75% of the buckets show some sign of activity. We'll just have to wait and see.

Maple Dad
03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

First post on this site...been reading it for 2 years though! Sure appreciate everyone's knowledge! I have 100 taps with sap sacks on my parent's farm in Merrill. Mostly reds and, as others have pointed out, too much snow yet! I collected about 18 1/2 gallons of sap tonight. Was hoping for much more so I drank a bunch of caffeinne for an all night cook that I didn't get to do! Now I'll be up all night anyway! We're bound to thaw out one of these days! I wish everyone a great season!

NJG
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Any sap running up north?

Got It Bad
03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
tapped sat and sunday about 100 taps went back today to tap some more collected about 80 gallons and a friend did the same and collected about 120 gallons we are both going to fire up tomorrow things are looking good:):)

NJG
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Heading up Friday night to check on ours. I think the wait is the worst! Hope a couple more warm days loosens things up a little to give the guys something to do for a few days!

syrupkid
03-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Tapped Saturday and collected and cooked for the first time today. Maple Dad, where in Merrill is your parents farm?

southfork
03-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Sap is rolling in Rhinelander.

Rhino
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Just got back from the Price county bush, Vac ran all day yesterday and last night, 500 gal. of sap from 1200 trees. With the bag taps there might be a extra 300? Hopefully we get around 1000 from the Lincoln county bags and we can fire up Saturday with around 2000 gal. Lightening and thunder at noon there with heavy rain and small hail mixed in. I was able to get the case half track unstuck and go over all the trails, snow really took the hit.

Maple Dad
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi Syrupkid,

My parents' farm is just off Highway 107 about 3 miles north of Council Grounds. Haven't had much luck yet this year...how 'bout you?

I drove over by Antigo today and there were some bulging bags hanging from the trees.

syrupkid
03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
MapleDad, I can see your parents Harvetstore Silos as I type this then, I am right across the lake from them. Today I cooked and made about 2.5 gallons after my pans got sweet, got about 210 gallons of sap yesterday, but had to collect that today in the rain because I was in Madison yesterday to watch Merrill play for State, sadly they lost though.

NJG
03-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Pulled a total of about 25 gallons of sap this weekend. Way less than we hoped for of course. Still plenty of although it was diminishing fast when I left.

mike z
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Got 60 gal. off 200 buckets yesterday in Ladysmith. It tested at 2.0% I assume I collected some rain water as I was getting 2.5. I dumped plenty of the yellow tree wash sap as I collected. Off to check for more.

Rhino
03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Collected 750 gal. in the snow storm, Just stock piled it along with the other 2500 gallons for this Saturday. Going to be cold enough that the sap will stay good. Doing this so my brothers don't have to burn a vacation day as long as it's going to be so cold the next 7 days or so. Only thing i don't like is the morning temps of single digits Saturday morning. Going to have to monitor the feed pipe so it dosn't freeze up. Once we get rolling, the rapid flow will take care of any freeze up issues. Saturday we had a fair run, other then that just a trickle each day. Looks like it's going to be a mostly April season if we get the weather after this cold spell. Vac pump will get a rest starting tonight, ran alot of hours straight. Might get some ice fishing in yet this week, which is a rare thing for me in late March.

mike z
03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
No more sap, or very little in the buckets. Time to drain the pans and prep. for the cold.

Haynes Forest Products
03-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Have 1600 in tanks and will be boiling all day tomarrow with the crappy weather I will be snug in the shack. With the freeze we are having and snow its going to be a GOOD YEAR:)

jmayerl
03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
fricken snow! 14 inches of wet heavy on the ground in shawano and still falling. Can't do anything today but clean the pans because the wife took my truck to work. Probably won't be able to get to my buckets till May because the the frost went out and there should be 18" in the woods by tonight. :mad:

Haynes Forest Products
03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Boiled all day in the nice shack what a great day to catch up.

jmayerl
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Well how did everyone else weather the storm? we ended up with 18-19" here is shawano. I'm gonna try and get to the woods on sunday and make sure all the buckets didn't blow away. Not sure how I'm going to collect now, maybe pack down the trails with a snowmobile?

WI Sugarpop
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
We got some snow in Plymouth but mainly ice on everything. Jmayerl, how are your new pans working? What is your evap. rate? Are they drop flue? We're planning on getting new pans for next year. Keep the sap flowing so we can make some cash to do that.:)

jmayerl
03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Just flat pans. Jim Schumacher made a flat pan to replace my rusted out raised flue just to get me through the season. I'm hoping to get a flue pan made by him this summer. I'm still tweeking the ramp in the box, but currently get 10-12gph. would really like to see atleast 15gph my the next run.

WI Sugarpop
03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
We have a 2x4 flat sap pan and a 16" syrup pan without dividers. We are only getting 10 gph or so but we've burned a lot of aspen. Trying to keep the stack temp above 1200 degrees has been difficult. We'd like to have Jim make us a drop flue sap pan with dividers and a new syrup pan. Need to burn less hours and less wood or be able to put more taps in, but I need more time to collect then.
Thanks for you info.

NJG
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Anybody getting sap now that the storm passed and weather is looking better?

jtiefert
03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Things are slowly starting to pick up. We collected about 1/2 gallon per tap this evening. Getting better day by day.

Sap was running ~ 2.25% - all reds.

Jim Schumacher
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Things are really starting to bang on the border land. I spent the day boiling and collecting in the finest of company. Bob U. came up and over from the Rice Lake area and spent the entire day. Several other local and semi local producers stopped over as well. Made some of the lightest syrup I have ever seen and the sugar content in the sap is climbing. I am grinning ear to ear. Maybe we will make something out of this season afterall!!

Jim

BobU
04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Warm, rainy, and no cold weather soon enough.
Will be pulling taps this week.
Made about 100 gallons (guesstimate, will have the actual count when we do the split-up)

Looking forward to next year already, new (to me) evaporator and more taps.

This addiction is never ending. :rolleyes: (ain't it great)

Rhino
04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
There is talk of a cool down starting next friday, 20's for lows 40's for highs and to last around 5 days. Friday when we collected some places had just below knee deep snow yet. With todays temps (71) and the rain, the snow will take a hard hit by us but our buds are tight yet in the woods. Hopeing to get through this warm and rainy spell and and make some syrup yet the 15th through the 20th. Maybe wishful thinking?? Would be the latest we ever made syrup in over 20 years. The 70 gallons we made yesterday was dark amber and had a nice flavor yet. Didn't see any snottyness in any of our 1000 metal taps yet either. Bad weather on the horizon for the state of Wis. tonight which is disturbing though.

Rhino
04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Storm front moved through, lots of damage in the Merrill area, Little Chicago area. Have to go and check out our woods and buildings tomorrow. We are west and a bit north of Merrill so im a bit nervous what i will find. Buddy of mine in Thorp said his hard maples ran prety decent today.Some bags ended with a gallon of sap. Not sure if he was full of b.s. or not?

markcasper
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Rhino,

I don't think he was full of b.s. I gathered 1000 plus gallons that ran just since last night from my 850 vacuum taps. A guy that I buy sap from brought me 300 gallons from 240 taps on vacuum just since last night. A few of my bags out back ran probably close to a gallon. I was gathering and it started hailing and lightening real bad. The trees were pouring at noon today with the vacuum. When I finished up around 6pm there was just a trickel, it slowed WAY down after the front blew through.

Am R.O. ing now and am headed out to boil now. Will be commercial, but I need it!

PETE FELCH
04-10-2011, 10:32 PM
same for us Mark Got over a gal per tap today . 18000 Taps all over 25 in vacuum the man hours in the woods are paying off

driske
04-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Probably the best run at 73F I've witnessed in 30 years of this game.
But then Ma Nature threw the curveball. Torrential rain, High winds, lost power for 5 hours. Pump station flooded. Oh, Boy.
The sap is in the tanks and we'll boil in the AM.
It will be interesting to see what the vacuum levels are after this storm. Does it pay to try and resurrect the system with the continued warmth forecast.??
Logistics....logistics..... Never a dull moment. :confused: