PDA

View Full Version : Releaser question

pls009
02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
First time using a releaser - I'm attempting to mount a releaser on top of a cage tank (tote). I have a double vertical mechanical - I have cut a square hole on the top of the tote - my question is - when these things dump the sap, how far does the sap shoot out? I'm wondering if I made the hole large enough or not. I guess time will tell eventually. I guess a person could make some sort of splash shield of some sort too. Just wondering what folks do?

unc23win
02-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Mine sort of goes in a fan it shoots out at least 2 feet in front and probably 2 feet wide. If it's like mine with the outlets turned to the middle it needs to be hanging halfway off the platform because the fan shape will cause sap to hit the platform its sitting on. A shield isn't a bad idea I have seen some on here and read about some. Releasers splash a lot more than what you would think.

pls009
02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Mine sort of goes in a fan it shoots out at least 2 feet in front and probably 2 feet wide. If it's like mine with the outlets turned to the middle it needs to be hanging halfway off the platform because the fan shape will cause sap to hit the platform its sitting on. A shield isn't a bad idea I have seen some on here and read about some. Releasers splash a lot more than what you would think.

Thanks for the input! - I better come up with some sort of shield

VT_K9
02-19-2016, 10:46 PM
I have a single releaser with about 330 taps on it. I put about 1/4 of the way across a CDL 588 gallon tank which is about 4' wide. I put it on a plywood cover and it releases into on half of the tank. I did not account for the fan effect when the flapper opened and closed. More sap goes to the side during the open/close phase. I am not sure how much sap yours holds and how much it dumps in a dump session. Either fill it with water for a few cycles and make changes or wait for the sap to run and watch it.

Mike