PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with a tank question

DMF
02-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Our sugar bush is in our woodlot quite a ways from where we plan to boil... We are starting with buckets with a couple of dozen taps. We have a Polaris Ranger I'd like to use for collecting and transporting the sap up to our barn. I was thinking that a tank, 100 gallon max, in the back with a big opening on top to pour the buckets, kinda like the smaller one I have for applying pesticides would be good. Any tips on where to get a good tank like I'm describing or any better collection ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ericjeeper
02-17-2016, 08:33 AM
I bought a 100 gallon NSF labeled tank from Rural King. Was $200.00

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MISugarDaddy
02-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Before our current setup, we had two 55 gallon barrels in the back of our Kubota RTV and a smaller tank on a cargo carrier that was supported by the 2" hitch receiver. We poured sap from buckets into the smaller tank and then pumped it from there to the two 55 gallon tanks in the back. It just made it easier than having to lift the buckets up into the back of the unit and dump them into the barrels. Since we now have all our taps connected to 15 and 18 gallon barrels by tubing, we went with a 125 gallon tank that we got from Tractor Supply and pump directly out of the barrels into the tank. 1309813099

DMF
02-17-2016, 08:57 AM
What do you use for a pump? Any more pictures or details on the set up in the back of your Kubota?

psparr
02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/4c804a05ea39493b46687364e1618ba2.jpg
Here's mine on the cheap.
Cut a hole in top the size of the bucket.
Cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket.
Pump with a Wayne submersible and put the lid on the bucket when transporting.

DMF
02-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Looks good as well. Just wondering why you cut a hole big enough for an entire bucket? Was there no lid on the tank you had?

psparr
02-17-2016, 03:35 PM
It's a 55 gallon barrel. Also makes it easy to clean.

MISugarDaddy
02-17-2016, 04:30 PM
The pump is a Honda WX-10. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the box, then attached the tank and the motor to it. That way, nothing moves around at all and at the end of the season, I can just remove it in one piece for storing. Here are a couple more pictures that are closer, showing it set up to load sap. When we come up to the sugarhouse to unload the tank, we just unhook the line going into the top of the tank and attach a 1" hose to it and put it into one of our storage totes inside the building. We then unhook the suction line from the pump and attach the tank drain line to the pump, open the valve on the tank drain and we are ready to unload. We use cam lock fittings for all the lines to make the changeover very quick. I don't any pictures of it out of the Kubota.1310813109 I made a lid out of plywood that fits tightly in where the cap goes with a handle on it so we can remove it and put on the lid that came with the tank when the tank is full. I then cut a hole the size of the PVC so it fits tight and doesn't bounce out when moving around the woods.