PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Acton (Middlesex)

jrm
02-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Tapped yesterday in drizzly 50 degrees. 8 trees, 9 taps in. Combination of 7/16 and 5/16 taps, as well as a combination of plastic maple pails and milk jugs. Sap dripping from all when tapped. About an inch of sap in one jug about an hour later. :mrgreen:

2 new trees this year, so far one excluded from last year that was dry all season. May get another 2-4 taps in this week.

Let the fun begin

Biz
02-17-2016, 08:42 AM
I collected about 2.5 gallons this morning from my test line, 3 taps on 3/16" tubing. Should get some more today. Made a quart of really nice color syrup so far. Probably tapping 40 more this weekend.

Hey I used to live in Acton in the 80's....

Dave

TrainReck
02-18-2016, 12:24 PM
First timer here. Tapped 2 trees as a test on Monday (and because I couldn't wait any longer!) and as of last night had about 4 gals of sap.

Probably tap the rest tomorrow morning. Likely a total of 10 taps. Now I need to hurry up and finish my 55 gal drum evaporator.

jrm
02-18-2016, 07:10 PM
We collected 5 gallons yesterday, closer to 12 then 24 hours after tapping. This afternoon picked up 7 heat-treated pallets and cut them down for fuel. Still have some stacked from last year. Will pick up more pallets tomorrow... Great thing about the local businesses knowing who you are...

Dave... If I'm thinking right, you had about 10 gal to make that quart... Can you run that quantity through your evaporator? I haven't tried my 55 gal barrel Evan with less than 20, but am intrigued with the smaller batch. (I've been in Acton 4 years... If you haven't been here in awhile, I'm sure it ha changed significantly since you lived here... Town has a 2020 plan for updating Kelley's Corner.)

TrainReck... My first year, 2014, I finished my barrel evap the week before my first boil. Definitely did it by the seat of my pants... I'm handy, but not a welder and don't have great tools for cutting metal. Boy, was I (and still am) pleased with myself when it as done. Have fun! I have to get my out and firebrick in, maybe Sunday with th warmer temps.