PDA

View Full Version : Finding Leaks

backyardsugarer
03-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I am on gravity feed and want to find leaks in the lateral lines. Can I walk to main line when the sap is running and look for air bubbles in the line then walk up and look for the leaks? Is that the best way?

Chris

mountainvan
03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
You can't look for air bubbles because the tree releases carbon dioxide out of the taphole as well as sap. When sap is flowing I look for drips on the plastic, and when it's cold I look for icicles or run my hand along the tubing and feel for holes. Sometimes you won't find them till your cleaning, especially mice chews.

mapleman3
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
unless your finding drips or icicles like mountainvan said you wont find them by bubbles.. but then again why worry if your not seeing that... in vacuum it makes a huge difference... in gravity unless your leaking all over the ground a pinhole or small split probably wont make too much difference in sap yield, unless they are chewed or big holes... the biggest thing to take care of is sags in the lines...so it drains good and doesn't just freeze up and not move much

brookledge
03-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Usually if you have a leak that you can't always see you can find them by walking along the line with your hand around the tubing. If you come accross a sticky spot you have found a leak. When sap oozes out of tubing it will evaporate enough to become sticky.
Keith

David Hagelberg
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
If you walk the lines on a good running day and the sap is moving real fast down a line compared to others it means a leak is letting atmospheric pressure push it. A sunny day will make the drops from leaks show up real well.

backyardsugarer
03-06-2007, 08:29 AM
If tree's are giving off CO2 then why do some of the lines have bubbles and others not? Thanks, and I guess I will start walking the lines on Friday when the chill subsides.

mountainvan
03-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Two things I can think of, one you have a leak that's letting the co2 out, or you don't have enough slope in the line and it fills up with sap.