PDA

View Full Version : guzzler pumps

nekmaple
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
I bought my first guzzler pump this year and i am going to put a filter or strainer on and I am wondering what others are using and were you can get one I was thinking a mesh stained would be better any suggestions?

BAP
02-16-2016, 06:54 PM
You can use something like this inline screen strainer. They come in different pipe sizes so you van get the one you need. The link I posted is for Tractor Supply, but you can find them online. They are used in sprayers so companies like Banjo, TeeJet and Hypro make them.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hypro-1-in-polypropylene-line-strainer-with-80-mesh-stainless-steel-screen?cm_vc=-10005

Drew Pond Maple
02-16-2016, 07:53 PM
PVC reducers with a new stainless sink strainer

adk1
02-16-2016, 09:15 PM
I actually have not added any kind of strainer or anything and have had no issues however I also do not run the pump until the sap starts running naturally on gravity.

nekmaple
02-17-2016, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys also is anybody running a check valve on the output side of the pump, does it help hold better vacuum my vacuum fluctuates 2-3 inchs wondering if it would help maintain it

VT_K9
02-19-2016, 11:14 PM
I ran a guzzler for 2 years without a strainer and never had a problem due to ice. The second year I ran the guzzler like others run a vacuum as far as running it over night. As long as the temps did not go below 28 degrees for about 2 hours I let it run all night (I used a weather app on my phone).

As far as your vac dropping, I think you may have a leak. Once max vac is reached (I had 22-26 depending on weather and sap production) it should not fluctuate. I did not use a check valve on the output. I had very good results with the guzzler. If you would ike some photos and videos of my setup I used PM with an e-mail and I will send them to you.

Mike

nekmaple
02-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Got pump set up in woods last week pulling 21" on 200 taps with some obvious leaks now just waiting for some warm temps to find and fix them all hopefully in the next couple days

MikeVT
02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
So I have just finished setting up my guzzler pump in the woods. I have a 12v dc version, It is about 15 minutes from my house so I also have added a 100w solar panel and a thermostat switch. It is setup to startup when the temps reach 33 and it turns off at 31.5. It ran the first time the other day when the temps here were at 50. I have 370 taps and it maintained 19". I have never seen the sap run that well in those woods, I got 290 gallons in one day there.
I also added a banjo inline stainless steel screen so that no ice will get in the pump. So far everything seems to be working well. my tubing system was not setup for a vacuum system, so I do have 10 drops on some laterals, however, I did add 100 taps this year with only 5 drops per lateral. But as I have heard so many people say before, any vacuum is better than no vacuum.

So far, I'd have to say with just under $1,000 dollars invested in the pump and all the fittings, battery, charger, solar panel, thermostat etc.. this little thing can perform well and has already impressed me with only one day running. I will try and keep you all posted, if there is anyone else out there thinking about getting one of these.

adk1
02-28-2016, 08:15 PM
The best I have ever done with the guzzler is 15" and that is at the pump no idea what is it at the end of the line

nekmaple
02-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Adk1
The first time I set pump up I only got 13" off the pump but after thread tape and msking sure all connections were tight It was pulling 26" at pump. Hoping after I fix leaks I will be over 22" in the woods

adk1
02-28-2016, 09:03 PM
I have checked rechecked 100 times for leaks and I use Teflon tape on everything. This is my second year. I also changed the diaphragm. I am curious to know what everyone gets when u deadhead the pump. Do you get 20" or no? I know I don't. I was told that these pumps really need sap in them to reach the best vac

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-29-2016, 04:39 AM
just hooked mine up yesterday . I bought one of those vac leak finders from CDL and took off through the woods starting at the pump. I found all my vac gauges were garbage!. I just started working my way through all the lats. I found leaks that you never would have thought would be leaking, like little nicks, scratches in lats. picking up new vac gauges today will find out what vac is, we have had this pump 20+". Our other pump we lucky to get 15-18" but it turns slower.

on our high vac bush i was finding vac leaks 15' away. I would turn up volume stand still and point the wand around the woods at the lines, these were leaks you probably wouldnt have found normally.
we started at around 15/16 and once done had 24/25. there were several very obvious leaks, cracked check valves and drops pushed off T's. will walk line again see if i find more

nekmaple
02-29-2016, 06:45 AM
I only got like 15" if I deadhead pump and they definitely need SAP for best vac,wen i put water to it i got 25" i was just messing around with it in a 5 gal bucket wen i got 25" but im going to put a recirculater on mine, thinking about plugging off a piece of 5/16 and drilling a small hole in plug going to start out with a 1/16 or smaller hole and see wat that does

Quabbin Hill Farms
03-07-2016, 04:22 PM
You should get 15-20" with the pump running and putting your hand over the inlet, when there is fluid running through it i have seen as high as -25"

PerryFamily
03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
25" on 200 taps

adk1
03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
That is what I am thinking of doing as well. Will run it right into tank. Also I have a check valve on both inlet and outlet

palmer4th
03-08-2016, 07:43 PM
I would love to hear more about the solar set up? I want a pump but I'm in the same boat, I would need power of a battery and a charger.

nekmaple
03-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Does the check valve on the outlet side help with vac? I thought about putting one on but don't want to waste money if it won't help. I was disappointed today started my pump and only had 13" found a few leaks that will be fixed tomorrow today was my first day of good running weather

MikeVT
03-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Palmer 4th,
So far so good. the battery needs to be swapped out on days like today, the temps have been above freezing for over 36 hours with little sun. so I have a second battery that I do swap out with. but the battery just keeps chugging along. make sure you get a large deep cycle battery. they cost me $96 at walmart

lakeview maple
03-09-2016, 09:37 PM
I have a Guzzler and I cant imagine not having it. Its in a small bush with a 135 taps and 2 sap ladders ,there short ladders but the land on 1 end is really flat. I emptied it today, at 11 am and at 5pm I had 60 gallons back in the tank, to some people that might not be much. To me when we haven't had a freeze in 6 days, its awesome. I change out the batteries on mine every 12 hours or so, . Its pulling 18 inches now and doesn't flinch ,best investment Ive made besides my filter press. I have check valves on both sides and mine dead heads around 16 inches if that helps ADK1.

Revi
04-12-2019, 10:06 AM
We're thinking of getting a guzzler. Questions: Can you still do gravity, and bypass it? We just want to pull extra sap before weekends when we have time to boil it. Is it possible to set it up with a shut off, turn on when it gets above freezing?

MapleCamp
04-12-2019, 02:02 PM
I have the double disk, I keep it in an insulated cabinet that I made. I have a bypass so I can collect while away. cabinet stayed frost free with a 100w bulb. I keep 4 ro membranes in it as well the 150gpd type and its pump. I will say it hands down beats gravity, depending on the flow it pulls up to 25 inches when its coming fast about 15. I have to say I love it.

n8hutch
04-12-2019, 02:39 PM
I have a 12volt guzzler 500 that I would sell, PM if interested, I know I know this is not the classified section. But maybe it will help someone out.