PDA

View Full Version : Happy Accident

SeanD
02-16-2016, 03:43 PM
I got a new two-handed tool for 3/16", but one of the bushings was left too big so it can't clamp down hard enough no matter how much I tighten the clamp. I can pull it out by hand. I'm glad I tested it before I went out. That would have sucked.

So, I modified my two-handed tool for 5/16" with some tips I got here. I cut an old piece of tubing in half, but instead of heating or gluing, I just held each in place with a thick rubber band - the kind you get with broccoli or asparagus (so it's a food-grade elastic). It worked like a charm for all the work for 2 laterals and 40 taps. One elastic broke, but I had extras with me.

Then I went back out and set up 30 taps on 5/16". I just took off the old tubing pieces and elastics and I was ready to go. Cheap and easy - two tools in one. I'm returning the defective one and saving a bunch of money. Happy accident.

The only last modification I'm making is I'm taking that cutter off the tool. I love the flare, but the blade cuts me more than the tubing.

Sean

TerryEspo
02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention. Great post to save a lot of people here some money and not having to buy another tool. Thanks for sharing.

Terry