PDA

View Full Version : New sap hauler

sluggish
02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Well maybe not, but it sure was fun. Our local community had a family day event at Sweetwater Park(yup that's the real name) yesterday and below was our entry to the cardboard toboggan race. We succeeded in our goal to make it down the hill without coming apart completely, however we did slightly derail at the end. Lots of family fun building it and riding in it and we even won first place for the best design, so that was a cool bonus. Was great to see all the families out and there were some really cool entries to the race. Not sure if you have family day in the US but some of us Canadian provinces have it and it's a nice day off between Christmas and Easter. In a small area like where I live, the majority of retail places close the doors to let their staff spend time with families.

TerryEspo
02-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Whoo,Hoo,,,,,,,Love it, great job.

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Cedar Eater
02-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Not sure if you have family day in the US but some of us Canadian provinces have it and it's a nice day off between Christmas and Easter. In a small area like where I live, the majority of retail places close the doors to let their staff spend time with families.

Some communities in rural areas have Winterfests, but they are usually on the weekend. Some places have outhouse races and in Michigan, the DNR lets people icefish without a license on one weekend every winter. Some people get cabin fever and these things help with that.

sluggish
02-17-2016, 07:06 PM
I am definitely one who gets cabin fever. I work from May to November and have the winter off. Each winter I try to do something I've never done before for a job to fill in the winter. The first few winters I took a trip to a warm place but that got too costly. I used to restore or build a cool car or truck each winter and then drive it the next summer with a for sale sign on it. But I have moved and no longer have a garage so I can't do that. A few winters ago, we bought a rental property and I renovated that through the winter. The following year I set up a food truck at a local ski resort for the winter. Last year I worked at that ski resort to get some exercise and be outside. This year I decided not to work and just take it easy. Big mistake as I am going completely stir crazy. I am outside with a shovel the minute a snowflake falls just to get out of the house. Once I saw the sign for the toboggan race, I had a purpose, even if it was for only a week. This week I have been cleaning my sap collection stuff and going to tap the trees tomorrow. At least once the sap starts to flow for me, it will give me something to do.

This is definitely the last winter that I will not work doing something. I don't know how people can do it without going insane. I'm hoping to build a garage this summer so if that happens, next winter is planned already. I have two vehicles that are in some need of upgrades and an old truck that needs to be restored.

Bucket Head
02-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Sluggish,

Two questions. One, what is it you do for a living between May and November? And two, are they hiring??

Regardless of occupation, I think everyone looks forward to sugaring season! I know I do. I'm not a big fan of winter and am happy to know it's soon leaving with the start of syrup season!

sluggish
02-17-2016, 10:08 PM
To answer your first question, I'm owner/operator of an off road tour business. And as for the second question, I may actually be looking for another driver for this season, depends how soon I can get the second truck all set up. To answer a third question that you haven't asked yet, yes it is a blast. Fill the truck with a bunch of passengers and take them offroad for an hour(or more sometimes). Drop them off back at the resort and do it all again. Tons of fun, meet some great people and when people ask what I do for a living I can honestly say I play in the dirt. Can't beat that. I would post my website link up here but I'm not sure if that is against the forum rules or not.

Bucket Head
02-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Nice! That does sound like fun. Few people have a job they absolutely love! Lol, I have my Commercial Drivers License with the passenger endorsement (not sure what Canada requires though) but the commute would be a little long! But it does sound like a great occupation! I'd do that in a heartbeat if I could.

Good luck this season and I hope you get the shack up this year.

Steve

sluggish
02-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Yup the commute would kill you. :)

Got my taps in today and all lines run. Supposed to be plus 5 Celsius tomorrow(41-ish Fahreneit I'm guessing), so hopefully I'll be able to get a test boil in on the new stove. Best of luck to you this season as well.