PDA

View Full Version : Food grade plastic barrels

buckeyeboy
02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Plan on using plastic barrels for storage for sap before boiling. Does anyone know where I can obtain some in Northwestern Ohio/Findlay area?

KevinS
02-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Do you happen to have a soybean processing plant near by?
that is where I get mine.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Try Craigslist, Pepsi or a Coke bottling plant also has them and will sell them for $5, at least they do here in NH.

ash10383
02-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Hi! I'm from just outside of Tiffin and just getting started too, Ohiobarrel.com from Lima is supposed to have some but we haven't actually tried or gotten any.

buckeyeboy
02-16-2016, 02:52 PM
I called Ohio barrel,they don't have any and does not know when they will get any.

Fireguy
02-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Try Craigslist, Pepsi or a Coke bottling plant also has them and will sell them for $5, at least they do here in NH.
I had some 55 gallon plastic drums that previously containd coke syrup and I couldn't get the smell out. I bleached the hell out of them and that didn't even touch it. I tried some sap in one and i could taste a slight hint of coke. Just my experience with coke drums.

seandicare
02-16-2016, 05:43 PM
if you have a recycling center around you try them.......i'm in the process of working with one near me. only place so far that has anything......not sure if they are food grade yet though. have to talk to the guy in the morning once he checks his inventory.

jhamblett
02-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Where in NH, I am near nashua

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MISugarDaddy
02-17-2016, 05:20 AM
Buckeyeboy,

Not sure of the size or number of barrels you are looking for, but there is a weekly on-line auction every Thursday in Grand Rapids, MI that regularly has food grade barrels and totes. I just checked and they have food grade barrels and totes on this Thursday's auction. Their website is Repocast.com. Here is the link to this week's auction http://auction.repocast.com/items.cfm?auction=6687. Under "Category", select the "Shelving, Racking, Carts, Storage, Totes". They will indicate on the description if the barrel or tote is food grade. We have purchased all of our containers through them and have been very happy with them...they are a great auction company.
Gary

Michigan Maples
02-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Great tip Sugar Daddy! They have lots of barrels and totes on this weeks auction, and the bidding starts at 5 bucks. I'm just 30 min South of GR., thanks. Dave

Chris Zeger
02-23-2016, 06:03 PM
there is a guy that has a bunch just a little south of Mansfield if you are still looking that's where I got mine. thinkhe has 30-60 gallon barrels and has a bunch.

jrm
03-04-2016, 07:12 AM
I stay away from the bakery and other prior use buckets because of a kiddo with food allergies. I got mine at Lowe's. Last year they were made by Encore. This year they were made by Letica. Available in my local store, but also able to order online. Roughly $4.50 per bucket... Lids are extra.

Daveg
03-06-2016, 08:16 PM
You can line them with food-grade liners for about $6. for 10mil liners.