PDA

View Full Version : idea for filter holder

seandicare
02-15-2016, 09:02 PM
last year was the first time i used a commercial filter (before i just used coffee filters) i only did 1 gal, so wasn't too bad. but still a pain holding the filter while the syrup went through. it is a cone filter with the loops on the side.

i got to thinking of trying to build something to hang it over a pan of some kind.....i picked up a couple 5gal buckets today and had a brainstorm (very scary)....a couple screws on the top of the pail to hold the loops of the filter, then a small hole in the bottom of the bucket. put filter w/prefilter in bucket, then set it on top of a pot to drain into.

that way i can let it sit there and drain while i clean up the rest of the mess. (i finish on the kitchen stove)

rayi
02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
I have a propane burner on low with a deep restaurant pan with water on it. On that pan is another restaurant pan with a SS grate pan. I put flat filter down then pre-filters. When I'm done for the night I check density adjust if necessary. Some times I have to turn the propane burner up to get to bottling temp. I used less than one tank of propane

tbear
02-16-2016, 10:59 AM
I'd be VERY careful using plastic for hot syrup. Not sure that's what you meant, but it's a drag dumping syrup after all that work. The plastic CAN impart a burnt wiring taste. Ted

tbear
02-16-2016, 11:05 AM
I use a couple pieces of metal rod (run the rods through the loops of the filter) and set the rod/filter setup on a couple of stools with a stainless pot underneath. It works for me. Ted

pathfinder22
02-16-2016, 11:15 AM
An idea i have been floating around in my head.
How bout an older stock pot with holes drilled in the bottom to hang your filter in?
You could probably pick one up from goodwill on the cheap!
Better than plastic.

johnpma
02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
I use a flat filter over a SS warming tray and I use office spring clips to hold the filter to the flange of the warming pan

KevinS
02-16-2016, 11:35 AM
I use clothes pins to clamp the filter to an old fashioned colander with it in a big pot with a lid over it

psparr
02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Here's what I do. The bucket could be placed over any container. https://youtu.be/9kdVThgyq_M

seandicare
02-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd be VERY careful using plastic for hot syrup. Not sure that's what you meant, but it's a drag dumping syrup after all that work. The plastic CAN impart a burnt wiring taste. Ted

thanks, hadn't thought of that.

maybe i could find a SS/alum pot to line the bucket.....haven't been able to find a pot that would be tall enough to hold the filter itself. we don't have much around me for stores that would carry something like that... Walmart is about it

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-16-2016, 12:42 PM

This is similar to what we used to do until we got a filter press. We bought a large plastic garbage can, put threaded rods through the sides near the top to hang the filters and put a SS pot below the filter to catch everything. We even named it the budget filter:lol: It worked good for what we had invested.

psparr
02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Should have read your whole post before replying.
The bucket itself doesn't get hot, doesn't even touch the syrup. The syrup follows the filter and out the bottom.

Tweegs
02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
I built a filter stand using ½” copper pipe and a handful of elbows and T’s.
A couple of T’s pointing up to hang the felt cone filter on, paper filters are clipped to the felt with clothes pins.
SS pail sits on the floor below the filter.
We draw off right into the filter.

Just sweat the connections like any other copper plumbing project.

DMF
02-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Here's what I do. The bucket could be placed over any container. https://youtu.be/9kdVThgyq_M

This is genius!

seandicare
02-22-2016, 11:50 AM

that is basically what i was thinking as well......great minds think alike. :)

highlandcattle
02-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Ron uses a milk strainer with filter papers and draws off directly into that with a stainless pail

unclejohn
02-23-2016, 08:18 PM
See photo attached. We made a welded frame out of small steel barstock, bent in a ring and bent as needed for the legs, drilled the ring for placing 4 S-hooks to hold the conical wool filter, and it the legs are long enough that we can set a pint jar under the bottom of the cone on a small lazy susan which helps minimize spills when the syrup flows out of the filter. We put a pelon cone filter inside the wool one, and after about a gallon runs through we need to switch to another pelon filter. (old one gets clogged) hope this helps! 13280

seandicare
02-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Uncle John, thanks for the idea....that looks like a good set up for when i get going

psparr
02-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Not to criticize the nice work on the filter rack, but there should be someway to keep the heat in the filter. Exposed to the air things will really slow down.

whatever
09-13-2016, 02:34 PM
this works. fill filter, put lid on pot to keep heat in. take lid off,fill filter,put lid on. etc1450314504
this sets on top of a ss turkey fryer pot that comes with a ss tap in the bottom. purchased at bass pro.

Brian
09-14-2016, 05:40 AM
I used a stainless delaval milk pail the filter fit great

sardine
03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.16150
It was tough to pour syrup into the filter so we cut down the wires, bent them back a bit to hold the filter loops, and put some plastic tips on to make it a little safer.

Trapper2
03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.16150

Hey that's what I used to use also. A Large tomato cage.
I now use a 7 gallon bucked that is set on my coffee pot.

Islander
03-21-2017, 06:03 AM

This is the way to go. I use flat filters right in the coffee urn and bottle straight from the tap. I clip the filters to the urn using spring hand clamps. I never turn the urn on, the hot syrup needs no extra heat as the urn capably holds all the heat in. I usually put a small plate or something over the top of everything to help hold in heat while bottling, but if the syrup flows well I probably don't even need that as the filters act as a lid to the filtered syrup below. I picked up my urn for $5.99 at the good will.

Ntatar
03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
That.is.brilliant.

scottdevine
02-01-2018, 06:43 AM
This is the way to go. I use flat filters right in the coffee urn and bottle straight from the tap. I clip the filters to the urn using spring hand clamps. I never turn the urn on, the hot syrup needs no extra heat as the urn capably holds all the heat in. I usually put a small plate or something over the top of everything to help hold in heat while bottling, but if the syrup flows well I probably don't even need that as the filters act as a lid to the filtered syrup below. I picked up my urn for $5.99 at the good will.

Can you show me a photo of how you are using the flat filters inside the coffee urn please?

sardine
03-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Hey that's what I used to use also. A Large tomato cage.
I now use a 7 gallon bucked that is set on my coffee pot.

Looks like I am following the same path - picked up coffee urn at a rummage sale and will give it a try this year.

smokeyamber
03-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Flat filters, in a tall SS pot, thick filter is held in place with clothes pins, up to 6 pre-filters lay in place on top, pull each pre-filter as they stop flowing. Cover the top with a cover to keep the heat in. Tried the cone filters and found they held way too much syrup compared to the synthetic flat filters and were harder to clean. Wash and freeze the filters between filters and warm up over arch before using to help with the flow.

Zucker Lager
03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Used a 2/3 rds size steam table pan cut a hole in the bottom then soldered on a ring that exactly fits the inside diameter of my water jacket bottler. Place a stainless cooling rack inside lay 1/4 size filter sheets ontop (they overlap the side of the pan a few inches on all sides) then cover to keep heat / moisture in. Jay

18195 18196 18197