PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon Plastic Drum Collection Ideas

pyro
02-15-2016, 08:24 PM
I picked up a couple 55 gallon blue plastic drums. I planned to use them as a collection tank and then transport them back to the evaporator as a head tank (I think that's the right term).

Two setups I have seen is a horizontal tank with a 2" PVC fitting into one of the bung ports. The PVC has a right angle up to a funnel. The bottom bung is setup with some sort of valve. I would like to set it up to my pex pipe and trickle feed it into the evaporator but haven't figured out the correct fittings yet.

The downside with the above the PVC, primer and pvc glue is not food grade. Although I think I can get by with the primer/glue. The other setup I have seen it to cutout and drop in an open bottom bucket for filtering sap. But I feel there could be some splash out of the bucket. I could only fill 2/3 at best. Then I have to find some sort of buldhead fitting with valve. I think this setup is much more fragile since it can't be rolled.

Maybe some pics of your plastic drum setup would be appreciated. I figured I would get some creative ideas by asking.

psparr
02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
I use the hollow bucket method. There is a bit of splash out but that's because my hole wasn't cut the best. A good hole and a lid would work well.
At least one of the bung holes should be a standard pipe thread. The other is probably a "buttress" thread.

Kbrooks80
02-16-2016, 06:14 AM
This is the dump valve I have for my barrel. I connect a pool connect hose to the connector. I now have a 55 gal drum in the ground with a pump to transfer to my head end tank.

SeanD
02-16-2016, 06:47 AM
I use the bucket cut into the side. A big upside to that method is at the end (and beginning) of the season, I can scrub every inch of the inside. I think you'll have more splash with a funnel especially if the barrel is not vented. I can pour at near full speed into the bucket with a filter nested into it. Another advantage is that it is much easier to lift a bucket of sap and pour it into the side than it is to reach to top.

The two bungs are 2" each. One is a buttress fitting and the other is NPT. The NPT one also has a 3/4" knockout in it. I have used all of these in various situations and they all work. Just be careful not to damage the threads when you punch out the center.

Don't worry about the primer too much. Just go easy with it. Another option is to just dry fit it together. Usually, the fittings are super tight without the primer. One of the elbows from my head tank is a dry fit. You are not putting that much pressure on it.

Sean

pyro
02-16-2016, 10:30 PM
I just found that my barrels have 2 of the coarse buttress threads. So no easy way to connect PVC fitting as originally planned. The converters/adapters are as much as what I paid for the barrel.

The buttress caps are also just caps. No knockouts for the 3/4 NPT. I'll have to order that. I think I'm stuck with cutting out the bucket on the side/top unless someone has a better way to funnel in to the buttress thread.

eustis22
02-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Kbrooks, what size fittings did you use for the bunghole?

Kbrooks80
02-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Used a 2" metal nipple into the barrel. Then down to 1 1/2" elbow and ball valve. I did use some JB weld around the outside to strengthen the connection into the barrel.

eustis22
02-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Not plumbers tape? Huh.

Also,anyone have ideas for THAWING the barrel? Mines pretty solid

psparr
02-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Not plumbers tape? Huh.

Also,anyone have ideas for THAWING the barrel? Mines pretty solid

Leave it sit till June.

eustis22
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
yeah that's not gonna happen

TerryEspo
02-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Here is a pic of my barrel that we cut from the side. 13130
Very easy cleaning, very little splash with the 5 gallon bucket in place.
I also use it for when I am collecting from gravity on tubing, keeps the collection pipe lower to the ground.

Terry

TwinBay
02-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Hey Terry-

Any issues with the sled flipping over when you are going around uneven corners.

TerryEspo
02-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Yes, yes and yes,,,I have flipped it in the past. That pic shows my sons little sleigh, I usually use a larger more stable sleigh, my ice fishing sleigh. But even then it is spooky if driving far and alone.

I would not call it the best way to transport but is doable.

Terry

michiganphil
02-19-2016, 03:38 PM
The downside with the above the PVC, primer and pvc glue is not food grade.

A lot of houses are plumbed with CPVC. It's not listed as food grade by NSF, but it's ok for potable water. Treat sap like potable water. Just make sure the primer and glue is safe for potable water.

pyro
02-20-2016, 10:30 PM
I have only seen CPVC come in small diameters. The regular PVC is used more for drain pipes and therefore come in large diameters such as the 2" needed to optimize the fit to the bung.

I'm just about to cut out a 2 gallon backery icing bucket into the side/top of the barrel. Just received my new bung caps with the 3/4" knockout. I got a 3/4 to pex copper adapter and will use that with a valve to feed to the evaporator. Nice thing is you can just hose clamp the pex to the pex fittings. That way they can easily be taken apart for storage.

Zucker Lager
02-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Hey Pyro how are you going to fasten that bucket to the barrel? I am doing the same thing and making a cradle for the barrel to fit in my Gator. Both the bucket and the barrel are HDPE so I'm thinking of plastic welding it I do have a plastic welder but need to get rod. But if there is a better way to fasten it I'm all ears. Jay

pyro
02-21-2016, 08:00 PM
I was going to caulk it with Silicone. However I realize the cutout has to be almost exact and I'm not sure I can trace it well enough with the curve of the barrel.

scottdevine
02-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Here's my setup...stationary, I bring the sap in buckets to it http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160222/50832267ec3b51008b3cbd336456c369.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160222/37dd4282bc2f3bbdbb75f65ffaf33b3b.jpg

I lost the top bung...got a rag in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk