PDA

View Full Version : Pumping syrup

DaveB
02-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Outside of using the bypass on my filter press, what other options are there for pumping syrup out of drums? Are there any small stand alone pumps that can pump syrup or something else that can move syrup? I'm hoping the collective here can point me in the right direction.

maple flats
02-15-2016, 02:42 PM
For small amounts OR when the syrup is too cold to use the filter press I use this: http://bascousa.com/basco-ezi-action-drum-and-pail-pumps-p20055.html If it is too cold and I have the time, I put an electric heater on the side of the SS drum and warm it. If real cold it may hake 2 hrs to warm using a 1500 watt heater. Then the FP will move itr OK, not fast but OK. If the syrup is above about 35 degrees the FP does much better, over 50 it does good.

wiam
02-15-2016, 06:27 PM
I built a PVC version of Leader's "Air Operated Drum Dispenser". I can't find it on their websight. I like it. Now I have purchased a used Leader stainless one. I also built an adapter to go to 2" sanitary clamp so I can use it on my beer kegs.

lpakiz
02-15-2016, 06:35 PM
I built one just like on a filter press. Camlock couplings in and out.
I used a generic gear pump. But I believe a worn out Oberdorfer would work just to move syrup with no back pressure.

Cedar Eater
02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Outside of using the bypass on my filter press, what other options are there for pumping syrup out of drums? Are there any small stand alone pumps that can pump syrup or something else that can move syrup? I'm hoping the collective here can point me in the right direction.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=361_65&products_id=3137

ennismaple
02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
We bought a new brass gear pump and direct coupled it to a motor. It'll empty a 35 gallon drum of syrup in 5 minutes.

Amber Gold
02-16-2016, 01:36 PM
WIAM. Can you send me materials of the PVC drum dispenser you built? I'm interested in making one. Easier than starting up the FP pump just to empty a drum. Syrup was so cold a few times this winter, I gave up on the FP pump (air operated diaphragm) and dumped it in directly.

wiam
02-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Here is a picture.

wiam
02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
1" pvc. 1" slip valve. 1" street 90 slip. 1" slip to insert(Lowes is the only local source I have found). I put 3/4 milk hose on this. (Heat it in boiling water. It would go). 2"insert to slip adapter. 2"-1 1/2" slip bushing. Short piece of 1 1/2"PVC. 1 1/2"X 1 1/2" X1/2" T (to adapt to air fitting). The next piece is basically a compression union for 1" PVC. It has rubber compression sleaves inside. Take the nut and rubber off one end. There will be threads. I just dopped a lot of glue on the threads and glued into the 1 1/2" end of the T.

I ALWAYS SET THE REGULATOR ON MY PANCAKE ABOUT 15 PSI. And I feel an air filter is important.

Amber Gold
02-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Thanks. I'll make one up when I get a chance.