PDA

View Full Version : No float box

newmod
02-15-2016, 10:52 AM
This will be my first year on my 2x5 hybrid. And not using a float box for incoming sap. Should I connect the preheater tube right where the float box connects? I was thinking about just dripping in the preheated sap right above that area. For this first year I figured I would like to see the sap actually running into the pan, just so In can gauge it and not run the pan to shallow. Or should I just connect to the inlet port and watch the sap levels in the pan? Thanks
Newmod

Super Sapper
02-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Either way should work fine, just make sure you keep an eye on the level.

buckeye gold
02-15-2016, 11:27 AM
personally I'd invest in a float box, you'll never be sorry you did. when I bought my hybrid Jim at Smokey Lake convinced me I should have one and I am so glad he did. I ran my old pan on a valved drip system and was constantly watching and adjusting. Life is sooooooo much better with a float box , and not cleaning up a burnt syrup section every year is even nicer!

newmod
02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
OK. I just bit the bullet and gave Jim a call and ordered the float box. Wow, this is getting to be an expensive season. At least I will have everything for next year except bags and bottles. Thanks

Newmod