PDA

View Full Version : How many Taps can a tapper tap if a..

WoodlandMaple
02-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Starting today after it warms up a little. After an expansion this Fall/Winter we have close to 1,100 taps. Hoping to bust through them and get some other things tweaked to be ready for the weekend and wondering how many taps people can drill and hook up (on vac) on a good day.

spud
02-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I have done a couple of 700 tap days this season but then always drag the next day. A nice steady 500 per day seems to work best for me.

Spud

maple flats
02-15-2016, 12:21 PM
On easy ground and trees are close together when I don't need snowshoes, 600-650. On difficult ground, sometimes as few as 200 or even fewer.

220 maple
02-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm with you Maple Flat's, Saturday with wind chill factor about 0 on steep ground I got in 170 taps, not enough for sure but better than none! None was dripping. HaHa

Mark 220 Maple

maple flats
02-15-2016, 02:47 PM
By the way, I tell my help when tapping that I want to see their foot tracks all around the tree, because I want them to identify the best spot to tap, related to old tap scars and the tree itself, so speed is not a priority. The only time I get the 600-650 is on a new set up with easy ground to work.

boondocker
02-15-2016, 05:02 PM
I put 190 In this afternoon in 2.5 hrs in 12 deg. Weather.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2016, 06:19 PM
I usually average 80 to 100 per hour, sometimes high as 120+ in hour. Depends on how steep terrain is as a lot of my hillsides are probably close to 75 degree slope. I put in 470 in 4 hours and 20 minutes one evening last week and fixed several leaks while I was tapping. I carry a backpack on my back with extra battery and plenty of tubing, fittings and tools to stop and fix leaks when I find them while tapping. Put in 235 next evening on extremely steep slope in about 2.5 hours and fixed several leaks.

Good drill, powerful battery and sharp tapping bit are the keys. The 2 XCP batteries I have provide about 20% more torque.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-15-2016, 08:47 PM
We average around 350-400/day. That is on good ground with no snow. That is also with my wife going ahead and installing spouts and checking for damage. With 7500+ taps, it takes us the better part of a month to tap. The woods is where the money is made. It isn't about quantity, its about quality. Don't rush the tapping, take your time.
Neil

Russell Lampron
02-16-2016, 05:30 AM
When there isn't much snow like this year I can put in 300 per day. I use seasonal taps and have to cut the old one off and push the tubing onto the new tap. When I was using 2 piece taps it went much faster and I was able to do 600 or so in a day. While I am tapping I carry a roll of flagging tape and mark places where repairs will need to be made. When the snow is deep and I have to do it on snowshoes it takes much longer and sometimes I can't get much more than 200 done. Like others have said it is quality not quantity. Look the trees over for a good spot to tap, the money is made in the woods.

rhwells2003
02-16-2016, 07:11 AM
We're in the process of setting up my parents woods. When everything is said and done we'll probably have 3,000 this year. We had 2,000 ready to go two weekends ago and dad wanted to get those tapped. With the weird up and down weather he thought get it tapped and we have those ready to go incase of another warm up. Anyway we tapped that in two teams of two. First person drill and place the adapter, 2nd person install the drop. My dad and I did 1,000, and my brother in law and his father did 900. So we did 1900 in one day. That was 8am to 5pm. But that's new woods requiring a quick check of the tree. when searching for past year tap holes that'll be slower.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2016, 08:47 AM
I replace all my spouts a couple weeks before tapping and try to fix any damages I can find then as I try to thoroughly check the lines too while do this. This really speeds up tapping a lot and I am always careful to check the tree and make sure I find a spot well away from old tapholes before drilling. All of my spouts are the 5/16" maxflow and I use a 19/64" drill bit and these spouts seal better than any spout I have ever used. I checked several hundred couple days after tapping and didn't see any leaking around spouts on any of the trees. Key is that perfectly round hole regardless of how fast or slow you tap.

Sugarmaker
02-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Two of us have done our 600 roadside taps in a day! I drilled and helper set the tap.
This year we did 400 before lunch.
Regards,
Chris

doocat
02-16-2016, 05:45 PM
500 in a day. I have the drill in a holster. Drill, tap in spout, install drop line, move on. The holster works great, no bending down to set drill or squeezing it between you legs.

Craig

lpakiz
02-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Try hanging your drill around your neck from a cord (shoelace) threaded thru a piece of 5/16 lateral line. Easy on, easy off, with one hand.