PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical releaser problem

Adk Sugarworks
02-14-2016, 02:49 PM
I bought and installed a used CDL single chamber mechanical releaser sized for 6,000 taps. We have only about 3,500 taps on it but bought it oversized so we could grow into it. The pump is a 5 hp water cooled that pulls 27" when the valves are closed. When the releaser dumps the vacuum level goes down a lot, as I knew it would with this type of unit, but it takes 15 seconds or more for it to come back to full vacuum. Is this a normal recovery time? Should I be looking for something sticking/not working properly or this is as good as this thing can do?

PerryFamily
02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
My experience

Atlas copco 17cfm pump on a new CDL single vertical
Capable of 750 taps I have 500 on it.
Absolutely zero loss of vacuum when dumping runs 27" consistently

Dairy pump 35cfm with a double vertical Lapierre
Has about 500 taps consistently runs 23-24"
Vac loss is very minimal when dumping
Inch maybe at worst

Hope this helps

BreezyHill
02-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Is your check valve between the releaser and the tubing system operating well? The check isolates the tubing from filling with air. If your releaser is larger than your pump can evacuate quickly you are in need of a balance tank.

Brian Ryther
02-14-2016, 05:03 PM
You have leaks in the woods. Lots of them. It is not the releasers fault, unless the check valve between the sap manifold and the releaser tank is not working properly. If your woods are tight you will not see any drop in the vacuum level during the dump cycle.