PDA

View Full Version : What really makes the sap run

tonka
02-13-2016, 07:10 PM
I don't know how to really go about getting my question asked so I will just ask, what really triggers the say run? I know it sounds like a newbie question but how much dose the temps really trigger the sap? Dose the moon phase have any affect on the start of the sap run? Or is it the moon phase that usually changes weather pattern and in this case starts warming up which then gets everything thawing and trees running?

blissville maples
02-13-2016, 07:17 PM
when you start seeing mud!! when theres mud theres sap...must have 20 degree nights and 40-45 days for best results, a nice quick balmy 28-30 degree morning when you walk out at 8 am is best

GeneralStark
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Read this...

https://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/maplesapexudation.pdf

Basically any time the tree thaws it can give sap. I was tapping trees at 16F yesterday and some tapholes on the south side were actually wet.

bigschuss
02-14-2016, 05:23 AM
I've heard that moon phase affects sap flow or weather?

blissville maples
02-14-2016, 05:50 AM
oh yea, sunny side runs first!! just like dirt road on cold days, sometimes edge gets wet by thaw in sun but nothing more. not sure about moon phase, however a slight low pressure barometer plays a very mimimal increase in yield, unoticeable

Russell Lampron
02-14-2016, 06:11 AM
The freeze thaw cycles are what trigger sap runs. Anytime the temperature gets above freezing the frozen sap will build a pressure inside the tree and force the sap out. The wind direction has more of an effect on sap flows than the phase of the moon. The saying goes something like this; When the wind is from the west the sap runs best. When the wind is from the north the sap runs forth. When the wind is from the south the sap runs drought and when the wind is from the east the sap runs the least. I have had days here when the wind was from the west and the temp about 35* and got a good run and have had days when the wind was from the south with temps in the lower 40's and got next to nothing.

Cedar Eater
02-14-2016, 10:10 AM
I would be pretty surprised if the moon phase had any significant effect on any aspect of the sap run. Does it have any effect on air temp? It has a slight effect on gravity (tides) but the tidal effect on the Great Lakes is barely noticeable, so I can't imagine it would have a big tidal effect on a tree. Air temp, ground freeze, and solar radiation seem to make more sense.

wnybassman
02-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Seems for me the best sap runs are as a weather system (usually a cold front) is approaching, and the barometer is low or falling quick. Warm high pressure days sap runs, but not as good.

Michigan Maples
02-14-2016, 11:39 AM
The freeze thaw cycles are what trigger sap runs. Anytime the temperature gets above freezing the frozen sap will build a pressure inside the tree and force the sap out. The wind direction has more of an effect on sap flows than the phase of the moon. The saying goes something like this; When the wind is from the west the sap runs best. When the wind is from the north the sap runs forth. When the wind is from the south the sap runs drought and when the wind is from the east the sap runs the least. I have had days here when the wind was from the west and the temp about 35* and got a good run and have had days when the wind was from the south with temps in the lower 40's and got next to nothing.

Thanks for your wisdom! That's great info for us new tappers. I was wondering the same thing, what makes one year better than the next. We had a great year last year in Michigan, relative to 2014. I LOVE your sap hauler!

Russell Lampron
02-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks for your wisdom! That's great info for us new tappers. I was wondering the same thing, what makes one year better then the next. We had a great year last year in Michigan, relative to 2014. I LOVE your sap hauler!

I get a lot of compliments on the sap hauler! I haven't found anybody that doesn't like it. That includes the women that you would think would not like it because to them it is just and old piece of dare I say the word "junk". To me it is a valuable piece of equipment that is also a piece of farming history. Yankee ingenuity at it's best!