PDA

View Full Version : great place

seandicare
02-13-2016, 01:12 PM
i've spent that last couple weeks browsing all the great info you guys have here. got some great ideas for when i decide to grow the operation.

i am from Bangor, NY. for those that don't know where that is, look at a map and go north until you hit the Canadian boarder, then come back south 10 miles.

i've been doing small scale boiling the past few years. 10-15 taps at most.
----first year was last minute (my daughter came home from school and said she wanted to make syrup) season was already half over.
-------made a small stove from a 55gal metal drum on end, cut down with open door and small hole on top to place a pan over.
----second and third years i used a small outdoor fishfryer. last year i kept track of the propane and it was costing me $55/gal of syrup.

this year i decided to go bigger. i found someone that will let me tap their lot, about 70 trees or so right now.
---i made an evaporator out of a fuel oil tank on it's side with holes to place 4 stainless steel steamtable pans, and another 1 on top in the back.
--------i figure this could be revamped to fit a regular flat pan later on when i am ready to grow some more.